PDA

View Full Version : Damaged clown fin

BinaryRun
11/15/2016, 01:18 PM
Hello guys,

Two days ago I brought home two clowns, a blenny and a hermit crab. The clowns are of two different sizes in the attempt to get them to pair up. I didn't notice any damage at the store, but today I noticed that the small one got a damaged fin with a chip in it. The other clown keeps in the same place most of the time, showing it's belly.

I tried to take a picture of them as well as the damaged fin. Will it recover eventually? Both clowns are eating, so at least that isn't the problem. Could it be aggression from the other one?

My salinity it between 1.025 and 1.026. The store keeps it between 1.024 and 1.025 and they were acclimated properly.

The pose of the larger one, he swims underneath the smaller clown:

https://snag.gy/wSErOH.jpg

The damage to the smaller clown:

https://snag.gy/OXeHzf.jpg

They are both ocellaris by the way. I hope that he'll be okay.

Silly clownfish
11/15/2016, 03:10 PM
Assuming no additional fighting, good water parameters, and a healthy diet, a minor ding like that will heal up pretty quickly. Some initial squabbling and slightly tattered fins are not unusual.

I assume these are your first fish and the tank is fully cycled? Stay diligent on checking your water parameters until you know that the tank is stable with the recently increased bioload.

Kim

BinaryRun
11/15/2016, 03:39 PM
Assuming no additional fighting, good water parameters, and a healthy diet, a minor ding like that will heal up pretty quickly. Some initial squabbling and slightly tattered fins are not unusual.

I assume these are your first fish and the tank is fully cycled? Stay diligent on checking your water parameters until you know that the tank is stable with the recently increased bioload.

Kim

Yes Kim, that is correct. They are my first fish and the tank is fully cycled. It came down from 4PPM of ammonia to 0, same for 10PPM of nitrite to 0. So it should be able to handle quite the bioload, other parameters are all within range as well and I'm continuously monitoring the levels.

Silly clownfish
11/15/2016, 03:50 PM
It sounds like you are on the right track. Best wishes.