PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep tangs, all lost to ich.

Fishlock
11/15/2016, 09:14 PM
I have a 120g I've kept fish healthy and lots of lps very healthy. It's apparent ich is present and everytime I try to introduce a tang tragedy strikes. I've kept a purple tang alive for 3 weeks and is looking a little better using dr. G's anti parasitic caviar. But he still looks ichy. I have 1 yellow tail tamarind wrasse, a couple cardinals, a percula a mandarin and a blue chromis. These guy have been in there between a 6-18 months combined with no signs of ich ever. Yet I've lost 3 different tangs to ich in the last 3 months. Should I give up on tangs. I can't take apart my tank to catch and quarantine these fish, too much rock and established corals. Water parameters are always perfect. 20% Water change every 4 weeks. Any ideas I love tangs. 361700

vhuang168
11/15/2016, 10:23 PM
Any new fish will get infected. You can keep trying till you find 1 that survives but that can get expensive and borderline cruel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bif24701
11/15/2016, 11:38 PM
I have a 120g I've kept fish healthy and lots of lps very healthy. It's apparent ich is present and everytime I try to introduce a tang tragedy strikes. I've kept a purple tang alive for 3 weeks and is looking a little better using dr. G's anti parasitic caviar. But he still looks ichy. I have 1 yellow tail tamarind wrasse, a couple cardinals, a percula a mandarin and a blue chromis. These guy have been in there between a 6-18 months combined with no signs of ich ever. Yet I've lost 3 different tangs to ich in the last 3 months. Should I give up on tangs. I can't take apart my tank to catch and quarantine these fish, too much rock and established corals. Water parameters are always perfect. 20% Water change every 4 weeks. Any ideas I love tangs. 361700

Why haven't you treated the fish for crypto and left the display fallow? Get rid of the ich and be done with it.

danrobberg
11/16/2016, 11:10 AM
He said he can't take the tank down to catch the fish.

AK707
11/16/2016, 12:08 PM
2 options i see...
either don't get anymore tangs and know that at any moment ich can strike any of your current fish
or
setup another tank and slowly catch all the fish and put them in new tank. maybe try one of those fish traps. once the last fish is caught if you can't do ttm then just go hypo in the new tank and keep main tank fallow for 72-90 days after the last fish is caught.
if you go with option 2 make sure to ttm or somehow treat all new fish before it goes into main tank

ThRoewer
11/16/2016, 02:49 PM
I would go with the first option: no more tangs. The tank is kind of small for them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

125mph
11/16/2016, 10:40 PM
Catch fish can be hard but what I did with my tank was I brought some egg crate and slowly trapped one at a time between egg crate. You use them as a divider, eventually they fish on the wrong side and you divide it up. Takes time but works well