PDA

View Full Version : Any advice or warnings pls :)

bcranley
11/16/2016, 08:35 AM
Hi all,
So I've just made the switch (or possibly leap?) from freshwater to saltwater with the addition of a small (63 litres) saltwater set up. I know I should have gone larger to help stabilise water parameters but this was all I had space for as my 55gal and 40gal and still running freshwater and I only live in a small apartment so not all that much room for fish unfortunately.
My main question is about stocking, I understand that 63 litres really isn't much to work with but I really want the following:
1 pair Ocellaris clowns
1 Fire goby
1 peppermint shrimp
Possibly a couple of snail if I see a problem with algae etc.
I have RODI water and will be supplementing the water so that hopefully I can keep an anemone for the clowns.
So my questions are:
Is this stocking possible in this tank?
If so, what kind of water changes/ maintenance would be required? I do weekly 30% water changes on my larger tanks so I'm happy to change it regularly if necessary.
Thanks for any advice or help, I can upload some pictures later on if that would help anyone.
The tank is currently set up with live rock and is cycling (will only be stocking in February as I'll be away a lot between then and now). I am also supplementing with bottled bacteria in order to ensure a healthy stock of bacteria before any stocking begins.
Thanks!

mcgyvr
11/16/2016, 11:10 AM
#1-Don't waste your time/money on bottled bacteria..
#2-Perform water changes as needed to keep levels good/stable.
#3-Have fun

AK707
11/16/2016, 11:36 AM
stocking list looks fine
20-30% weekly water changes will be good as well
regarding the comment above on the bottle bacteria thats all opinion, some people say its great others think its a hoax, i started my 40g tank with 35lbs of live sand, 35lbs of dry reefsaver rock and a bottle of bio spira, i haven't tested water in 4 days or so but last time i checked my ammonia was 0 nitrite .1 and nitrate was 15ish after about 15 days so it most definitely helped speed up my cycle no doubt, i bet if i test now my nitrite is 0 so really i could do a water change and add fish. but i have 11 more days of ttm then fish are going in, i also got another small bottle of bio spira to add before the fish just as extra insurance

best advise is be patient, go slow and bare minimum ttm all fish before adding to main tank

mcgyvr
11/16/2016, 01:07 PM
regarding the comment above on the bottle bacteria

I should clarify..
I believe that some can provide a benefit when used per the directions and during first start up/cycling..
But I don't think there is a need for "supplementing with bottled bacteria" over time after a tank has cycled..
So I intended to imply that there is no need for him to keep adding it until next year when he/she finally stocks the tank..

snorvich
11/16/2016, 02:22 PM
Hi all,
So I've just made the switch (or possibly leap?) from freshwater to saltwater with the addition of a small (63 litres) saltwater set up. I know I should have gone larger to help stabilise water parameters but this was all I had space for as my 55gal and 40gal and still running freshwater and I only live in a small apartment so not all that much room for fish unfortunately.
My main question is about stocking, I understand that 63 litres really isn't much to work with but I really want the following:
1 pair Ocellaris clowns
1 Fire goby
1 peppermint shrimp
Possibly a couple of snail if I see a problem with algae etc.
I have RODI water and will be supplementing the water so that hopefully I can keep an anemone for the clowns.
So my questions are:
Is this stocking possible in this tank?
If so, what kind of water changes/ maintenance would be required? I do weekly 30% water changes on my larger tanks so I'm happy to change it regularly if necessary.
Thanks for any advice or help, I can upload some pictures later on if that would help anyone.
The tank is currently set up with live rock and is cycling (will only be stocking in February as I'll be away a lot between then and now). I am also supplementing with bottled bacteria in order to ensure a healthy stock of bacteria before any stocking begins.
Thanks!

[welcome]

AK707
11/16/2016, 05:31 PM
I should clarify..
I believe that some can provide a benefit when used per the directions and during first start up/cycling..
But I don't think there is a need for "supplementing with bottled bacteria" over time after a tank has cycled..
So I intended to imply that there is no need for him to keep adding it until next year when he/she finally stocks the tank..

agree, i think the directions are a little gimmicky where it says supplement after a water change. im going to add another small bottle just before i add my first 2 fish as extra insurance and thats it for the bottle bacteria...

little hijack here sorry...once a tank is cycled but nothing is added, what is there for the bacteria to feed on? it seems like after time they will kinda starve out?

BlueMoonFox
11/16/2016, 06:40 PM
Biggest bit of advice and possibly the hardest. Keep out of the tank! You'll put some coral in there. It'll look unhappy and you'll think "I'll move it." Then it doesn't open in its new place and you'll second guess yourself and move it somewhere different. Research everything before you buy it and think about where it might do best. Put it there and give a week or two. I have a few pieces that I bought and they closed up and I thought I must have put them in a bad place. Fast forward five months and they are happy as can be and multiplying.

snorvich
11/17/2016, 04:18 PM
Biggest bit of advice and possibly the hardest. Keep out of the tank! You'll put some coral in there. It'll look unhappy and you'll think "I'll move it." Then it doesn't open in its new place and you'll second guess yourself and move it somewhere different. Research everything before you buy it and think about where it might do best. Put it there and give a week or two. I have a few pieces that I bought and they closed up and I thought I must have put them in a bad place. Fast forward five months and they are happy as can be and multiplying.

I always buy frags (SPS) since colonies are difficult to replicate the environment they came from.

meverha1
11/17/2016, 05:31 PM
Biggest thing I've learned:

Take any advice you get here with a grain of salt. Very few people here are "experts" but a lot of people think they are. Likewise, just because something works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another.

You shouldn't rush things with your tank but at the same time it's often just as bad to be overly cautious.