PDA

View Full Version : Silicone still soft after 48hrs

eder10986
11/18/2016, 05:19 AM
I siliconed my overflow box to my tank 2 days ago and I still have it clamped due to fear of it falling off given that the silicone seems to be soft still.

Any recommendations for how long I should let it cure? I would have thought by now it would have but if I were a silicone professional I wouldn't ask :).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dallen2233
11/18/2016, 05:40 AM
Depends on how large of a bead you made. I had to wait 2 weeks for the bead on my 300 to cure. Another possibility is that the silicone is past it expiration date, in that case it may never cure properly.

windlasher
11/18/2016, 05:48 AM
YEP: Check the expiration date.

eder10986
11/18/2016, 08:30 AM
Depends on how large of a bead you made. I had to wait 2 weeks for the bead on my 300 to cure. Another possibility is that the silicone is past it expiration date, in that case it may never cure properly.

Thanks fellas. I'll check the date. I did put a large bead around overflow so perhaps that's why as well.

ktownhero
11/19/2016, 08:29 AM
More is not better amigo. Gotta make a nice clean bead and smooth it out. If it's not cured in 24 hours then you likely used way too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OllieNZ
11/19/2016, 11:51 AM
I siliconed my overflow box to my tank 2 days ago and I still have it clamped due to fear of it falling off given that the silicone seems to be soft still.

Any recommendations for how long I should let it cure? I would have thought by now it would have but if I were a silicone professional I wouldn't ask :).

Thanks!

Rough guide is a day per millimetre of bead width, ie 1/4in glass 6 days, 3/8in glass 10 days. I'm sure you get the idea.

eder10986
11/19/2016, 05:44 PM
Rough guide is a day per millimetre of bead width, ie 1/4in glass 6 days, 3/8in glass 10 days. I'm sure you get the idea.

Awesome. Thanks. Looking better today. Luckily I'm in no rush. Likely going to wait a few more days.

Ou8me2
11/19/2016, 06:54 PM
The dry times on the tube are for very small beads of silicone. So the thicker you go the more time you'll need. When I reseal tanks I will wait 7-14 days. Also, just because the outside seems dry doesn't mean it's fully cured. The vinegar odor will tell you also, as it goes away once fully cured.

uncleof6
11/24/2016, 01:58 AM
More is not better amigo. Gotta make a nice clean bead and smooth it out. If it's not cured in 24 hours then you likely used way too much.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

24 hours is for a 1/8" bead. You cannot put anything together with that little silicone. Know your products and read the product data sheets (not the MSDS.)

Lsufan
11/24/2016, 08:23 PM
24 hours is for a 1/8" bead. You cannot put anything together with that little silicone. Know your products and read the product data sheets (not the MSDS.)

This right here, especially being the op was siliconing a acrylic overflow box to a glass tank.