PDA

View Full Version : How much light is too much?

ADAMMP
11/19/2016, 05:10 PM
I was wondering I have a 125 gallon with to orbit Pro 36-inch led lights on it. I noticed that a lot of people run the blue lights and I'm wondering if that is enough light or should I be mixing in some of the white light with it also? I have mostly soft corals. Mushrooms, star polyps, clove polyps, and hammer Coral. The coral seem to be existing but not growing much. My parameters are all where they should be. Nitrates might be high 20 ppm. I could post pictures but I don't know if that would help. Would using the meter on my camera help to determine how much light is on the bottom? Thanks for any info.

mcgyvr
11/19/2016, 06:10 PM
That light will NEVER be too much for a 125G.. not even close..

ADAMMP
11/19/2016, 07:02 PM
Not even two of them? They run the length of the tank.

Jayreefer
11/19/2016, 09:53 PM
its a fish light not a coral light. it will never be to much not even with 4 them.

vhuang168
11/19/2016, 10:01 PM
+++++

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron Reefman
11/20/2016, 03:15 AM
ADAMMP, it may look bright to your eyes, but a PAR meter tells a very different story. That is the reason your corals are 'existing and not growing'.

ADAMMP
11/20/2016, 06:17 AM
Thanks Ron finally someone to tell me why instead of "no way nubbie" I have read other people useing them with some success. Thanks for helping.

soverjas
11/20/2016, 07:36 AM
its about Par and Spectrum. To the human eye we see the green, yellow and red spectrum to be brighter so without a meter its hard to just use your eye and make a assumption. Most corals benefit for the lower end of the spectrum in the violet and blue range. Just because blue end appear to the human eye to be producing less light it doesn't mean they are. Understanding and educating yourself on the light spectrum and how it apples to coral is where every reefer should start before buying there lights. Same could be said for everything in this hobby. Research and educating yourself before buying will produce more success long term.

Chris Lakies
11/20/2016, 08:58 AM
Well there are a lot of different variables when you say too much....

https://youtu.be/fBktpJ3umAs

ksc
11/20/2016, 09:39 AM
Well there are a lot of different variables when you say too much....

https://youtu.be/fBktpJ3umAs

Great study if you're into growing porites.... I wish he had done one on a typical branching acropora, like the ones that grow in our tanks. I'd bet the results would have been much different.

dz6t
11/20/2016, 06:33 PM
Different coral has different light tolerance level, even within the Acropora genus.
Many studies were done on Pocillopora, porites instead on acropora.
Acropora has significant higher level of light tolerance and light requirement.
Something like PAR at 500.
But at 500 PAR, your monti cap will likely burned.

ADAMMP
11/20/2016, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I brought out my t5 fixture and got some bulbs. See the difference now.