PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Shrimps Can Live Together

schnebbles
11/20/2016, 09:41 PM
I have a cleaner shrimp (want another, lost one).

I was going to get a couple peppermint shrimp. Can I get a coral banded shrimp?

Then eventually if I get a goby a randalls pistol?

I'm not sure if this is too many different kinds. Maybe I should skip the peppermint or the coral banded?

thanks!

Ron Reefman
11/21/2016, 06:52 AM
The only one I can tell you a lot about is the Coral Banded shrimp. They rarely tolerate any other shrimp but a mate. Not even other Coral Banded shrimp. Some do, but IMHO most don't. I collected 2 in the Keys and in less than 1 day they fought until 1 was dead.

I think peppermint shrimp are fairly docile and tolerate others, but they tend to hide more than some other shrimp.

I'm less sure about cleaner shrimp as I have very limited experience.

schnebbles
11/21/2016, 07:54 AM
thanks, I'll skip that one.

I love shrimp, can you tell? I had a bunch in my freshwater tank.

AlSimmons
11/21/2016, 11:42 AM
How big is your tank? FWIW I've kept 2 cleaners, a fire and a CBS shrimp in a 60 gallon tank before without any problems. They all had their own little piece of the reef staked out and were kept well fed.

BigRedSpecial
11/21/2016, 12:43 PM
I've kept two cleaners and a fire in a 20g with no problems

Lmax8rn
11/21/2016, 01:53 PM
I have 3 cleaners, 2 fire shrimp, and a harlequin in a 180, no issues at all, but this is my experience only.

sam.basye
11/21/2016, 05:53 PM
The pistol shrimp isn't really like the other shrimp. They stay to themselves in their burrow and won't bother anything unless it is provoked.

Maritimer
11/21/2016, 10:50 PM
In my 65, I've currently got two skunk cleaners, two blood/fire shrimp, six peppermints and five sexy shrimp. (I will note, this is the second group of peppermint shrimp I've attempted. The original ones vanished without trace.)

The sexy shrimp are always out on their maxi-mini carpet anemone garden.

The cleaner shrimp are always around, though sometimes somewhat hidden. They're always front-and-center if there's food - or my hand - in the tank.

The peppermint shrimp can sometimes be glimpsed in dark recesses in the rock, but they're pretty nocturnal.

The blood shrimp live in the deepest, darkest cave on the reef, and if I want to see them, I'm likely to need a flashlight.

~Bruce

Ron Reefman
11/22/2016, 03:40 AM
In my 65, I've currently got two skunk cleaners, two blood/fire shrimp, six peppermints and five sexy shrimp. (I will note, this is the second group of peppermint shrimp I've attempted. The original ones vanished without trace.)

The sexy shrimp are always out on their maxi-mini carpet anemone garden.

The cleaner shrimp are always around, though sometimes somewhat hidden. They're always front-and-center if there's food - or my hand - in the tank.

The peppermint shrimp can sometimes be glimpsed in dark recesses in the rock, but they're pretty nocturnal.

The blood shrimp live in the deepest, darkest cave on the reef, and if I want to see them, I'm likely to need a flashlight.

~Bruce

Bruce, that is great info, thanks for passing that along.

eastlake
11/22/2016, 07:34 AM
My experience with shrimp has been mix and match. I've had cleaners and coral banded in a 45 gal together with out issue and my neighbor had a cleaner, banded, and blood without issue. Recently, and by recently I mean my current bonded pair, I added a 4 smaller cleaners to my 150 gal that houses my bonded pair and within 2-3 days the pair hunted down and killed all of the new shrimp. The same pair has also completely left alone the 4 peppermint shrimp that presently reside there. So drawing from my experience, its a total crap shoot.

ginpang
12/01/2016, 05:02 AM
I've also had skunk cleaners , peppermints, sexy and anemone shrimp together in a 5' aquarium, without any real problems.

Now that I have many smaller tanks [emoji57] ... Mixes are a problem. The mated pair of cleaners keep shunning the peppermints to little dark corners of the tank... I had two peps, than one disappeared... I got another and it disappeared again. So now I've got only one and I will probably move it to another tank because it's being bullied.
The periclemenes also suddenly disappeared.

I had heard about bonded pairs of cleaners not tolerating others in a confined space but I didn't think it extended to other types of " equally peaceful" shrimp.
Apparently it does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk