PDA

View Full Version : Rasping Mg with Epsom salts

Arsenal09
11/20/2016, 10:34 PM
I have a 20 gallon reef tank and im having a bad hair and turf algae problem. I suspect my Mg is the problem as it's as 1125ppm. I wanna use a DIY method to raise my Mg to 1300, then I'll use seachem Mg to dose. I've read that's it's bad to continuous use Epsom salt for Mg, how long will it take to raise it 175ppm? Any other precautions when using Epsom salt?

My Parameters:
Ca-400ppm
Kh-10
Phosphate -0ppm
Nitrate- 0ppm
PH- 8.0
Mg-1125ppm

bertoni
11/20/2016, 11:13 PM
Using epsom salt for a one-time fix like that is fine. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd dose no more than 100 ppm per day, and probably try 50 ppm for the first shot. I don't think that the magnesium will help the algae problem, though. I ran tanks at 1100 ppm for years because the old Instant Ocean came at that level. The tanks never had any problems with it.

Ron Reefman
11/23/2016, 05:08 AM
I have a 20 gallon reef tank and im having a bad hair and turf algae problem. I suspect my Mg is the problem as it's as 1125ppm.

Mg and algae are not related issues.

It's an assumption on my part, but maybe this is what you have read? There is some belief that a really high Mg level like 1800 or 2000 using Kent Mg will kill off some algae, but it's very much an unscientific and unproven user claim and nothing the manufacturer claims to be true.

Walla2GSP
11/25/2016, 09:14 PM
.. im having a bad hair and turf algae problem. I suspect my Mg is the problem as it's as 1125ppm... I've read that's it's bad to continuous use Epsom salt for Mg, how long will it take to raise it 175ppm? Any other precautions when using Epsom salt?...
Mg-1125ppm

I agree that mag and algae are not related issues, although you can raise magnesium to higher than usual levels to slow algae growth temporarily, you still need to deal with the cause of the algae. The only issue with what you are proposing with epsom salts is you are dumping a bunch of magnesium sulfide in the tank and not balancing with magnesium chloride. When you typically dose magnesium, you dose 10:1 chloride to sulfide, so you are basically doing the opposite. I have heard of people doing it successfully, in fact I did, but I would not recommend it without some prior thought. I am no chemistry expert however, just a hobbyist.

blanden.adam
11/25/2016, 09:22 PM
Using the pure magnesium sulfate for a one-time fix for the level is fine, but I agree. Your algae isn't from low magnesium. Even the "Kent Marine" magnesium dosing that Ron mentioned for bryopsis was allegedly due to some unknown impurity in the kent marine magnesium specifically.

bertoni
11/26/2016, 10:37 AM
Kent Marine claims to have found an algicide that occurs as a contaminant in some of their sources, and so I suspect the successes that people have had with Kent killing Bryopsis are due to that chemical. I would raise the magnesium to 1275 ppm or so to match ocean levels, but I am skeptical about any algicide effect.

Arsenal09
11/30/2016, 02:01 AM
Guess I'll just continue with the water changes. I do 25% water changes every 2 weeks, and my nitrate and phosphate is always 0 so just wasn't sure what could be causing the algae bloom

hbrochs
11/30/2016, 09:01 AM
Just because your Nitrate test reads zero does not mean there is no Nitrate in the tank.

You have a mass of Nitrate consuming hair algae in the tank, so even though your tank is making Nitrate, your algae is consuming it. I'd try as much manual removal of the algae as possible. Looking for causes of Nitrate, like overfeeding. Continue your water changes.

Lastly you might consider carbon dosing with vodka or vinegar.
I dose with NoPox which is like a combo of Vodka and vinegar.

Try not to look at progress from day to day, but rather from week to week and month to month. It can be helpful to take a photo of the same spot in the tank every week for comparison.

Good Luck,

Howard

Half Vaped
11/30/2016, 08:17 PM
Kent Marine claims to have found an algicide that occurs as a contaminant in some of their sources, and so I suspect the successes that people have had with Kent killing Bryopsis are due to that chemical. I would raise the magnesium to 1275 ppm or so to match ocean levels, but I am skeptical about any algicide effect.

Wow, that's really interesting. Any insight into what the algaecidal contaminant could be? Even if it only works on Bryopsis, I bet there's a market for a reef-safe algae killer.

Ron Reefman
12/01/2016, 05:55 AM
Wow, that's really interesting. Any insight into what the algaecidal contaminant could be? Even if it only works on Bryopsis, I bet there's a market for a reef-safe algae killer.

Kent will be introducing it as a new product in the near future, and like their Mg product, it will be a secret! JUST KIDDING!