View Full Version : Polyp Lab One

Antman
11/21/2016, 11:52 AM
so Polyp lab has a additive called One that is for CA Mag and ALK
is anyone using this any thoughts ?
https://www.polyplab.com/products/one

bertoni
11/21/2016, 12:21 PM
It looks like a calcium acetate supplement. It should be fine, although it'll add some organic carbon when dosed. Salifert All-In-One is a similar product.

Antman
11/21/2016, 01:21 PM
why would I need to add some organic carbon ?? as in like bio pellets NOPOX03 carbon ?

bertoni
11/21/2016, 01:36 PM
I mean that the product, by its nature, contains organic carbon (acetate) that will act as a bit of carbon dosing, exactly like vinegar (acetic acid), and much like the pellets or vodka.

2smokes
11/21/2016, 05:49 PM
I think its kalk (they say its hidroxide) with somme vinnegar added to balance the ph and somme magnesium aditive.The product has a fair price for what it is and i think its worth a try but i prefer to use the kalk without the vinegar because kalk has high ph and keeps your ph higher wich is a good thing because it prevents the acidification of the aquarium water by the CO2 existing in our houses.At somme point after using this product you will still have to add alk because alk get consumed way more than the calcium, and kalk is 50/50 alk and cal.All marine organisms use 50/50 alk and calcium to build theyr shells (or skeleton) but a lot of the alk you dose will be loosed in otther processes.

bertoni
11/21/2016, 09:07 PM
It's possible that it has some Kalk in it, but if so, it'd be a very dilute solution. The ingredients include calcium acetate and magnesium acetate, which I hope are the main ingredients. Kalk would largely useless in that volume.

smatter
11/21/2016, 09:55 PM
I have and use it occasionally. Bacteria really proliferate from the acetate, even at the lowest dose of 5ml/50g. It's calcium acetate, magnesium acetate, and hydroxide salts.

Antman
11/22/2016, 08:06 AM
Humm One says use once a day ... Salifert All-In-One says use once a week That may be an option also

smatter
11/22/2016, 08:35 AM
I've used the Salifert product as well. I prefer One because I don't want the aminos and other stuff All in One has in it. Polyp Lab recommends daily dosing, but they also have a twice a week dose as well.

tmz
11/22/2016, 01:01 PM
I think its kalk (they say its hidroxide) with somme vinnegar added to balance the ph and somme magnesium aditive.The product has a fair price for what it is and i think its worth a try but i prefer to use the kalk without the vinegar because kalk has high ph and keeps your ph higher wich is a good thing because it prevents the acidification of the aquarium water by the CO2 existing in our houses.At somme point after using this product you will still have to add alk because alk get consumed way more than the calcium, and kalk is 50/50 alk and cal.All marine organisms use 50/50 alk and calcium to build theyr shells (or skeleton) but a lot of the alk you dose will be loosed in otther processes.

The above is mostly wrong.

the manufacturer lists the ingredients; no calcium hydroxide(kalk) listed; no vinegar either.Kalk would precipitate magnesium btw.

kalk is not 50/calcium and 50/ alk. It's a balanced supplement i.e approximately 20ppm calcium to 50 ppm carbonate alk after it dissolves in water(Ca(OH)2 → Ca2+ + 2 OH−) and the 2 OH- reacts with CO2.
Marine organisms do not use 50/50 calcium/alk . They use approximately 20ppm calcium to 50ppm carbonate alk.

bertoni
11/22/2016, 01:35 PM
Yes, the Kalk would precipitate the magnesium if there was much of it at all. I overlooked that.

zooman72
11/22/2016, 10:09 PM
The above is mostly wrong.

Par for the course with this individual, but good job with the correction... :)

disc1
11/23/2016, 06:12 PM
Marine organisms do not use 50/50 calcium/alk . They use approximately 20ppm calcium to 50ppm carbonate alk.

He's actually OK to use 50:50 like this. If you take it on a molar basis, which is how any chemist would, then it is a 1:1 ratio. One molecule of carbonate to one calcium ion.

jason2459
11/23/2016, 06:20 PM
He's actually OK to use 50:50 like this. If you take it on a molar basis, which is how any chemist would, then it is a 1:1 ratio. One molecule of carbonate to one calcium ion.
I would highly assume he wasn't speaking on a molar basis. He may say he is now though.

tmz
11/24/2016, 02:02 AM
Thanks David , I get your point. The 2 OH- noted would along with CO2 create one CO3--- anion along with a water molecule;correct? Or would the 2 0H- use 2 CO2 to create 2 HCO3 anions ?

I think in terms of ppm since most carbonate and calcium supplementation measures and doses work off that or via easy conversions to ppm for meq/l and dkh.