PDA

View Full Version : T5 Advice

RDuhb
11/21/2016, 12:39 PM
I'm upgrading from my 75 to a 125. I've decided to try T5's instead sticking with my Kessils. The question I have is whether to go with 4 or 6 bulbs. The fixture with be 60". Space is limited in my hood, but I should be able to get a 6 bulb setup in there if I use a retrofit style fixture. The bulbs are 80 watt. The plan is to go with a mixed reef. Anyone have a similar setup? Will a mixed reef thrive with only 320 watts of T5? Thanks!

Potatohead
11/21/2016, 12:41 PM
How deep is the tank (front to back). Typically you want one T5 per 4" or so, every 3" for SPS.

MrDaniel
11/21/2016, 03:19 PM
I would definitely recommend using 6 bulbs or more. If you plan on keeping SPS coral you'll likely find that 4 bulbs is not enough light. Have you considered keeping the Kessil's and using both T5 and LED. I find this to be a great combination that provides the softness of the T5's with the crispness and pop of the LED's. It also seems to do a great job growing my corals!

RDuhb
11/21/2016, 04:54 PM
The tank is 18" front to back and 21" deep. In regards to a T5/LED combo, I might have to consider that. But I would most likely be limited to 2 T5 fixtures (4 bulbs).

soverjas
11/21/2016, 05:21 PM
The tank is 18" front to back and 21" deep. In regards to a T5/LED combo, I might have to consider that. But I would most likely be limited to 2 T5 fixtures (4 bulbs).

since you said you had a hood I would retro fit T5 and keep the kessil also. great deals on the retro kits right now. If space is a issue check out the LET retrofit kit. I believe they also have a dimable t5 version.

RDuhb
11/21/2016, 08:27 PM
So here's the T5/LED combo I'm considering:

T5's
2 - 2x80w Aruba Sun T5 retrofit fixture 60"
2 - Aquablue Special Bulbs - ATI
1 - Blue Plus Bulb - ATI
1 - Purple Plus Bulb - ATI

LED
4 Kessil A160WE

Any thoughts?

pisanoal
11/22/2016, 02:24 AM
I did a build very similar to yours a few months ago. I went with the Mira 80watt retros on my standard 125. Managed to fit 6 bulbs and a diy led light strip down the middle. I hit 450 par about 3 inches off the sand bed in places with salt creep on some bulbs and improperly cooling. My lights are only about 5" off the surface with no shield. I run 3 ATI coral+ and 3 ati blue+ with only about 90watts of leds.

pisanoal
11/22/2016, 02:29 AM

T5's
1 - Blue Plus Bulb - ATI

LED
4 Kessil A160WE

Any thoughts?

If its a standard 125, spacing the 4 kessils would be interesting. You would run into issues with the bracing.3 360s would be better, or just 3 160s centered in the 3 sections the bracing creates.

Also greatly depends on rockwork and coral plans as far as if your lighting will be sufficient. If properly executed, based on my experiences so far, you should have plenty of light to do almost any sps up high in the right spots. If you went with 6 T5s, you would most likely struggle with low light corals anywhere but the very ends or under big overhangs.

Also sounds very blue for your T5 choice

Bpb
11/22/2016, 07:07 AM
I agree with the above. 4x60" 80 watt t5ho (like the Hamilton or giesemann retrofit kits, plug n play), with 3 a160we units running center line. Keep that 4th one in case something fails and you need a replacement in a pinch , or sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDuhb
11/22/2016, 08:20 AM
My tank is a 125 with corner overflows. Even though it's a 125 it only has one center brace. That's why I was going with four Kessil A160's; two in each section.

Bpb
11/22/2016, 09:37 AM
4 it is. Most 125 standard have the two center braces

RDuhb
11/22/2016, 11:19 AM
4 it is. Most 125 standard have the two center braces

It's an older tank. Got it off craigslist.

soverjas
11/22/2016, 04:52 PM

T5's
1 - Blue Plus Bulb - ATI

LED
4 Kessil A160WE

Any thoughts?

Personally I would trade the AB special and purple for coral plus and add a second Blue plus. Coral plus is basically combining Aqua blue Special and Purple into one bulb with its spectrum. Then if you want a warmer kelvin adjust the Kessils.

drummerboyevil
11/22/2016, 05:04 PM
Peope go overboard on T5 recommendations imo.

I ran a 6 bulb ATI on a 150 and 200 par at the sand bed was EASY. On an 18" wide tank 6 bulbs is FINE for SPS.

Maybe if you go with a cheaper fixture you'd need 8, but not with an ATI. Bulb choice obviously plays a role too... if you want to run 2 actinics or something then your par will suffer.

soverjas
11/22/2016, 05:06 PM
Also sounds very blue for your T5 choice

To blue? That 4 bulb combo is almost white. Aquablue Special is a very white light with lots of Green and Red spectrum and Purple also has a huge spike in red and a smaller spike in green. That combo will be very white.

gus6464
11/22/2016, 05:12 PM
You need a lot of blue to tone down the whiteness of AB Special. I ran one bulb on my ATI but I was pushing a LOT of blue along with 2 C+ and it cast a strong white.

coralor
11/22/2016, 10:20 PM
Hope you don't mind me butting in here, but I have a similar question I'd appreciate input on if that's ok?
Looking to upgrade to a larger custom peninsula tank (dimensions 54" L x 22" H x 34" W) and I'd also like to make use of my Kessil 160's in conjunction with either one 48" x 8 bulb ATI sun sun power down the middle (Kessils on sides) or two 48" 4 bulb ATI's flanking 3 or 4 Kessil's. The tank will be predominantly SPS but some LPS as well.
Any suggestions as to which way would be better?

pisanoal
11/23/2016, 10:05 AM
To blue? That 4 bulb combo is almost white. Aquablue Special is a very white light with lots of Green and Red spectrum and Purple also has a huge spike in red and a smaller spike in green. That combo will be very white.
I was thinking ab special was very blue. I'm thinking of a different bulb
My tank is a 125 with corner overflows. Even though it's a 125 it only has one center brace. That's why I was going with four Kessil A160's; two in each section.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RDuhb
11/23/2016, 11:08 AM
Now I am considering 2 coral plus and 2 purple plus.

drummerboyevil
11/23/2016, 11:26 AM
3 blue plus and 1 purple plus is ATI's recommendation for a 20k look with four bulbs. 2 c+ and 2p+ is going to be reallllllly white/red

Bpb
11/23/2016, 11:43 AM
Yeah that would be hideous. Just put two blue+ and two true Actinic and use the kessils to adjust the temperature as white as you want. The ati blue+ bulb is standalone. You can grow a spectacular tank with that bulb allne

RDuhb
11/23/2016, 07:17 PM
Tidal Gardens did a video featuring several combinations of ATI bulbs and I really like the c+/p+ look. I wouldn't call it "hideous" at all. But I DO have to consider the impact of the kessils. Looks like I'll be doing some experimenting.

Bpb
11/23/2016, 07:28 PM
Hideous may have been an over statement. Having experimented with these bulbs in person most of us can really say that having 1/3 to 1/2 or more of your bulbs as blue+ is really ideal to get the best look and growth out of your tank.

RDuhb
11/23/2016, 07:45 PM
Understand. And I really appreciate the feedback. Gonna take a look at the video again and compare the b+/Actinic combo.

soverjas
11/27/2016, 03:16 AM
Understand. And I really appreciate the feedback. Gonna take a look at the video again and compare the b+/Actinic combo.

B+ with actinic and adjusting kessil Kelvin would be my suggestion. If you want a little more in the red and green spectrum then trade one actiinic for a coral plus. Its also hard to beat the actinics light spectrum for getting down in the low 400nm. Most LEDs struggle in that spectrum.

Lmax8rn
11/27/2016, 08:27 AM
I would definitely recommend using 6 bulbs or more. If you plan on keeping SPS coral you'll likely find that 4 bulbs is not enough light. Have you considered keeping the Kessil's and using both T5 and LED. I find this to be a great combination that provides the softness of the T5's with the crispness and pop of the LED's. It also seems to do a great job growing my corals!

I agree, I have a 6 bulb ATI, 60" bulbs. I have 5 T5's and I splurged on one of those white Eurotronics E5 LEDs that fit into the T5 fixture. The combo has resulted in CRAZY growth, with a very mixed reef. LPS are blowing up, can't stop the zoa growth, and the SPS are growing like crazy as well.

Lmax8rn
11/27/2016, 08:34 AM
Now I am considering 2 coral plus and 2 purple plus.

I have a Eurotrinics E5 LED, one coral plus, one purple plus, a Geisman super chrome actinic, and two blue plus. IMO It is too white, I'm going to take out the actinic and add another blue plus. My tank is 24" deep, lights about 10" above the water surface, and I get about 540 par just under the water surface and around 250-274 on the sand bed. My corals are seriously blowing up (mixed reef, SPS, LPS, zoas, mushrooms).

ADAMMP
11/27/2016, 06:42 PM
I have 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus and its real white. Going to go with more blues. Any suggestions?

Bpb
11/27/2016, 06:50 PM
Everyone's perspective will be so different. Two coral + two blue+ to me is very blue. Like 16-18k

ADAMMP
11/27/2016, 06:57 PM
Mine looks real white. Can you post a pic of yours

Bpb
11/27/2016, 07:17 PM
I don't run that combo but I've experimented with it. I currently run

2 blue+
1 true actinic
1 giesemann 6500k tropic
1 coral+
1 purple+

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161128/6ce8abc69bc9f1122994f529a228eccb.jpg

ADAMMP
11/27/2016, 07:35 PM
Guess mine is bluer compared to yours. Thanks for posting. Nice set up.

ADAMMP
11/27/2016, 07:40 PM
What's the black and blue fish on the right?

Bpb
11/27/2016, 07:42 PM
Thanks! That's my 9 year old clarkii clownfish. Grumpy old lady

daveonbass
11/28/2016, 04:38 AM
I have a 6 bulb ATI PM. I run:

Front:
Blue+
Blue+
Purple+ (I just ordered a coral+ to see if I like it)
Blue+
Blue+
Blue+

And I STILL think it's too white. I tried an Aquablue Special when I first got it years ago..and with just one AB Special the tank looks yellow. I can't even imagine what 2 ABS's would look like...Urine? I have tried to use Actinic in the 2nd and 5th slots for dawn dusk but the total color was again washed out and yellow because when all the lights were on the Actinics are lost...and so it's just whats left...in my case 3 Blue+ and one full spectrum bulb (didn't matter if it was a Fiji purple, ABS, or Purple+). Aquablue and purple+ (and Coral+ though I have not used one yet) are all "full spectrum" bulbs and will quickly over power 5 blue bulbs with just 1 in a 6 bulb configuration. In fact if I'm completely honest I was not happy with the light till 2 years ago when I built a 15 LED strip (7 blue and 7 royal Blue) to mount on the front of the fixture and add even more supplemental blue pop to the tank. that was also when my corals saw a huge spike in growth.

to the OP: If I had the kessils still and could mount them properly...and since they also provide blue to the tank...then I would run them in the middle and do 2 Blue+ in front and 2 Blue+ behind them. Then like others have said...use the white of the Kessils to adjust your final kelvin up or down till it pleases your eye.

Blue+ =============================

Kessils ---O------------O-------------O-------------O----

Something like that.

Bpb
11/28/2016, 06:06 AM
^^ i think in your case you probably just find the blue+ bulb to be too white honestly.

drummerboyevil
11/28/2016, 09:24 AM
^^ i think in your case you probably just find the blue+ bulb to be too white honestly.

Have to agree... Try the geisemann actinic blue. It's somewhere between actinic and blue plus. No green tint like the Blue+ has.

paal
11/28/2016, 10:58 AM
Best bet will probably be the Pacific Sun "Blue EX" bulb.
They released this about two years ago, but it has been unavailable now for some time. I was told it would probably return early next year. (send them an email and ask for it... maybe they will produce it earlier if more people "spam" them :) )

Compared to their CrystalBlue tube (PS equivalent to ATI Blue+) you can see it will be much darker blue, but without turning too violet like an actinic bulb:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10795&pictureid=76669

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10795&pictureid=76670

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10795&pictureid=76671

From left to right:
1. Crystal Blue
2. Shallow Water or Spectra+, not sure
3. Blue EX
4. Ultrawide UV
5. Shallow Water or Spectra+, not sure
6. Blue EX
7. Pigment INT+
8. Crystal Blue

daveonbass
11/30/2016, 01:56 AM
I'll be honest...I never thought to blame the "blue+" (probably due to the name) for being too white...but...you're probably correct. especially once they burn in and lose their spectrum. I'm going to look into the other brands Blue Bulbs. Also...I'm extremely interested in these E5 LED bulbs to replace one or 2 bulbs in the fixture...the Blue Pop bulbs are very blue.

running all 6 slots as Blue+ makes the tank look like slightly watered down windex. So, they are "blue" enough I guess. and I have had huge success with them (so as a creature of habit it's hard to switch to the unknown).

I will also add that I just got my BRS order today and finally have a Coral+ and so far I love it. Granted it is a NEW bulb so I'm sure it's spectrum is just wowing me in the immediate moment. But in comparison to the way I'm used to seeing the tank with the Purple+ I'm already liking how less "dull" it is. It's a crisper looking bulb that may actually be more "white" to the eye than a P+...but it seems to be a more crisp and more bluish white than the P+ so it's very pleasing to me. Also...for full disclosure...I will admit that I order from BRS because they carry the ATI brand that I trust for a good price and offer free shipping weather I order 1 bulb or multiple bulbs. So If they don't carry it I haven't seen it. But I want to thank everyone for all the new things for me to research and see if I want to give my money to another brand.

RDuhb
12/01/2016, 12:13 AM
B+/actinic is what I've decided to go with. 4-80watt bulbs along with 4 kessil 160's.

Yolly416
12/01/2016, 07:57 AM
I'm running 2 Euroaquatic E5 blue pop 2 blue plus 1 purple plus 1 actinic tank looks great more blue than white everything growing mixed reef but it's your likening you have to try different combinations