PDA

View Full Version : why is this forum dead

ExpensiveHobby
11/21/2016, 02:40 PM
what happened? There used to be a ton of threads for fish only tanks here.

sledge760
11/22/2016, 06:51 PM
I would like to know that too.

Dromon
11/22/2016, 07:06 PM
Just thinking out loud, but maybe the economy is putting a damper on people setting up the huge aquarium sizes that predators and large fowlrs require ?

CrayolaViolence
11/23/2016, 06:34 AM
I've noticed an increase in difficulty when it comes to selling used equipment as well. Especially larger tanks. In some cases it seems people can't give them away.

sledge760
11/23/2016, 07:39 AM
I've noticed an increase in difficulty when it comes to selling used equipment as well. Especially larger tanks. In some cases it seems people can't give them away.
You are so correct. I sell my tanks and equipment all the time. You practically have to give it away. Even though you are selling for a very low price in the first place, people ask if you will take less. Ridiculous.

eastlake
11/23/2016, 09:32 AM
After seeing two 700 gallon and one 450 gallon tank blow since Easter I can say that big tanks scare me, especially used ones that need to be moved. That being said all three tanks were made by the same manufacturer who apparently has a reputation for manufacturing giant pieces of garbage and one of the tanks had been moved several times so I assume the seals were tweaked in the moves. With all of that, I'd love to have a giant acrylic tank, or indoor pond for that matter, where I could have a pair of epaulletes or blue spot rays.

ExpensiveHobby
11/23/2016, 10:46 AM
I honestly thought that I had some type of thread filter not allowing me to see the posts. This thread used to be full of cool tanks.

sde1500
11/23/2016, 10:50 AM
Filter defaults to only show posts of the last day, kind of odd for a lesser used forum. Probably should default to at least a week.

Breadman03
11/23/2016, 01:18 PM
I'd venture to guess that it is just a temporary trend, just like the reef side has where different corals peak in value, then they slowly fade into the background as something else comes into favor.

Y'all should post up some pics and get some newbs interested. :)

s.reef
11/23/2016, 05:36 PM
Ill make a thread for mine sometime soon

SDguy
11/23/2016, 05:40 PM
You have to cycle through new owners or new specimens for established owners. Not frequent, nowadays.

It's like getting a puppy. Tons of pics at first, but by the time you have an adult dog after many years, you are just used to it, and don't take many pics of it. Doesn't mean you don't still love it :) But how many pics can I throw up of my 10 year old powder blue tang? He still looks the same :D

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1661/24961303336_d20a3c87c3_b.jpg

JamesHolt
11/23/2016, 05:46 PM
He might look the same, but he is still a nice looking fish..

Naraku
11/23/2016, 06:38 PM
I would love to post.
However, none of my fish have yet to make it out of quarantine due to disease or not eating.

I received a DOA rainfordi butterfly from NYA today.
Seller said he will try to send another.

Pending is a post for a pair of heniochus chrysostomus. One from BZA and another from Liveaquaria.
Starcki damselfish jumped out during a formalin dip procedure. Was dead when I found it.
The heniochus pair made it thru the rigorous quarantine, but are currently only eating mysis. Will start a new thread with pics.

Naraku
11/23/2016, 06:40 PM
I am planning a tank with fake corals.

Joe0813
11/24/2016, 09:22 AM
After seeing two 700 gallon and one 450 gallon tank blow since Easter I can say that big tanks scare me, especially used ones that need to be moved. That being said all three tanks were made by the same manufacturer who apparently has a reputation for manufacturing giant pieces of garbage and one of the tanks had been moved several times so I assume the seals were tweaked in the moves. With all of that, I'd love to have a giant acrylic tank, or indoor pond for that matter, where I could have a pair of epaulletes or blue spot rays.

My girlfriend and I just bought a house. we are starting to reinforce the floor for my 180 that I had in my parents basement. Im petrified that its going to leak and destroy our floor and walls.

Duke4life
11/24/2016, 03:01 PM
Gone 2 other sites, first time I've come here in months and if I wasn't bored I wouldn't be over here at this moment.

Dmorty217
11/24/2016, 03:48 PM
After awhile you get sick of answering the same questions over and over again... I'm on several site but find myself rarely posting

reef thief
11/24/2016, 05:58 PM
I am planning a tank with fake corals.

If you follow through please post a build thread. I'll follow and bump it.

SantaMonica
11/24/2016, 06:20 PM
Might be recent increases in water prices. Here they are about 3x what they were a few years ago.

I like the indoor pond idea; unbreakable.

eastlake
11/25/2016, 06:59 AM
My girlfriend and I just bought a house. we are starting to reinforce the floor for my 180 that I had in my parents basement. Im petrified that its going to leak and destroy our floor and walls.

Make sure that sucker is as level as level can be and it should last you a good long time. As far as leaks and the floor, my sister had a one of her filter hoses pop loose and pour lots of water onto the upstairs floor and it came through, rain in the basement laundry room isn't funny, but the floors were fine they just needed to dry out.

jmccown
12/14/2016, 01:02 PM
First time I've visited here in at least 2 years, but I've been out of hobby. Getting back in real soon. Is there any social media groups on FB maybe that cause the lack of traffic?

GQsmooth
12/15/2016, 07:25 AM

That's why you have insurance.

snorvich
12/15/2016, 01:14 PM
After awhile you get sick of answering the same questions over and over again... I'm on several site but find myself rarely posting

Some truth here. But the economic issues are also relevant.

Rakie
12/15/2016, 06:31 PM
I will also say, for many that I've known personally.. FOWLR / Aggressive Fish get boring, very quickly. If I were to house large and or aggressive fish I would opt for fresh water. A lot of the big SW fish can be great looking, but often they fall short compared to some of the Parachromis species found in FW, Gar, Arowana, and other cool predators.

Now that said.... Stonefish, Anglers, Sculpin, and Frogfish are some of my absolute favorite critters out there. I find them quite amazing looking, i'd even say beautiful in the non conventional way.

But stuff like big triggers, groupers, and all that jazz? Not my cup of tea, although easy to appreciate :)

SantaMonica
12/15/2016, 06:35 PM
Don't forget about those nice mantis tanks, and even an all blue-ribbon-eel tank (with black pvc tubes and actinics) that can be amazing.

suta4242
12/15/2016, 06:58 PM
First time I've visited here in at least 2 years, but I've been out of hobby. Getting back in real soon. Is there any social media groups on FB maybe that cause the lack of traffic?

Not sure whether this applies in the U.S. but locally, and from what I can see in many overseas forums, FB groups have greatly impacted forums. It's getting worse now because there are so many groups and the knowledge is diluted as more spring up. Not sure if it also has to do with this being a FO sub forum, as I think the traffic on RC has lessened too.

Just my thoughts.

:wave:

Brock92
01/04/2017, 01:48 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I haven't been on in a while and forgot my log in stuff. For the past few weeks I have been browsing a lot.

The amount and quality of posts have decreased alot. I also noticed a lot of great members have gotten ban. In addition to browsing here I have also been browsing Reef 2 Reef. Seems like a lot more activity there. Maybe that is the new spot.

Hopefully this place will bounce back since I am back.

Happy reefing

alprazo
01/04/2017, 05:36 PM
In the shark ray world I think a lot of the species that drove people to build large tanks have dried up. Once common place, the epaulettes, wobbegongs, nurse sharks, etc.. are unobtainable. Even the black tips and white tips reefs are rare today, when before they could be found in 125 gal tanks in the LFS. It's a good thing for many of the species IMO but it may be a reason for the drop in interest. The shark forums are silent.