PDA

View Full Version : Moving snails from dt to qt

danrobberg
11/23/2016, 03:49 PM
My tank has been fallow for 9 weeks due to either a velvet or ich outbrake. I have a regal angel in qt for over 6 weeks. I was going to put him in the display in the next few weeks. My qt is growing some algea on the glass and I was thinking of taking a few snails form the dt and putting them in the qt to help keep it clean. If the snails have ich cysts on them and they infect the regal at least he will be I. Qt and I know the dt is not ready for fish. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Daimyo68
11/24/2016, 07:24 AM
If you medicated the qt, the snails will die in there. I'm pretty sure 9 weeks is the qt window for ich. If your going a couple more weeks before putting the angel into the dt, just remove the algae by hand

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Dmorty217
11/24/2016, 04:46 PM
76 days is the MINIMUM fallow time for Ich. In Reef tanks there are plenty of reports of Ich still being present after 90 days

SantaMonica
11/24/2016, 06:47 PM
I don't think many cysts will be riding on a snail, because they can't attach as well. But why chance it.

Triggerfish
11/29/2016, 05:19 PM
what method have you been using to treat the infected fish?

danrobberg
11/29/2016, 08:15 PM
All of my fish died except two that I gave to the fish store for store credit and were treated there. The only fish I have now is my regal angel that I got form LA that has been in quarantine for about 8 weeks. I wanted to add him to the dt but he has lymphocystis so not sure what to do with him. He is eating spirulina enriched brine shrimp like a pig. I was considering treating with Mardel quick cure because on their website it says it cures lymph in a week but not sure that is true. Today is day 73 of being fallow for dt.