PDA

View Full Version : Alk in the 8's and high MG and CA

Taninflorida
11/24/2016, 10:47 AM
It seems some of the high-end online sellers indicate they raise their corals with Alk in the 8's but MG in the 1480's and CA in the 470 range.

How is this accomplished (Low Alk relative to MG/CA)?

I am using Red Sea Coral Pro, Alk rated around 12, when I want to switch from growth to color, should I switch to a mix with lower Alk?

Example from WWC

A recent classic from WWC, these beauties are fast growers once they take hold and are unique in their pattern and coloration. They are not easily confused with other named zoanthids. This frag consists of bright orange skirt that contrasts with the pink halo center. Zoanthid corals are easy to keep, hardy, and can not only tolerate "dirtier" water, but often thrive in it. Their diet consists of zooplankton, and may benefit from amino acids.

Coral Care Level: Beginner
Size : 4 polyps
Diet: Zooplankton
Tank Lighting: T5 and T5/LED combo/ and LED
Calcium: 470
Alkalinity 8.6
Magnesium: 1480
Nitrate: 7
Flow: Low

Martin Kuhn
11/24/2016, 12:00 PM
Hmmmm,
If I read this recommended values
the first thing that comes into my mind is:
Do they recommend also higher salinity levels than normal ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

tmz
11/24/2016, 12:06 PM
I don't think those parameters are particularly beneficial to zoanthidae or that alk will effect growth or color as long as it is in the recommended general range of 7 to 11.
Having said that , a combination of dosing calcium, magnesium and alk along with a salt close to the parameters you want can get you thereif that's where you wan't to be.

bertoni
11/24/2016, 12:40 PM
I agree that 7-11 dKH should be fine for most systems. Some tanks seem to have issues with higher alkalinity levels when dosing organic carbon (vodka, vinegar, or the like), though. You could switch to a salt with a lower alkalinity or use a mineral acid to reduce the alkalinity of what you have.

Mineral acids do require careful handling. Muriatic acid is a common choice. The fumes are dangerous, in addition to contact.