PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

rjjr1963
11/25/2016, 10:41 PM
New 180 Fish only tank.

I building a new tank after having run a reef tank about a year now. My sense is that this is much less challenging and I won't need as many different pieces of equipment.

I bought a 180 gallon Planet Aquarium and stand with a synergy overflow.
Top-unsure if I want one or not. Prefer low maintenance open top but might this be a real problem with larger fish?
Light-ATI T5 60"
Sump-75 gallon tank with a prefilter open chamber and a pump section. I'm not going to run a skimmer and even if I do it's external so not planning to have much down there except heaters/carbon/gfo reactors. Vectra L1 for a return pump. I'm not sure yet on the power heads but I want tremendous flow for the Tangs and other fast swimming specimens. Might look at the Apex system power heads and get the low cost controler to do some basic functions and send alerts if there is a problem. 10g ATO.
I'm thinking about doing a small mountain right down the center of the tank to create track like route for the fish to swim. Good idea or not?
Other than that I can't really think of anything else besides misc small stuff.

Any other suggestion from other fish only tank owners?

ElCamino
11/26/2016, 09:55 PM
I breed saltwater mollies to feed the tank.

CenterConsole
11/28/2016, 07:34 AM
I would definitely run a skimmer. FOWLR tankmates create a lot of waste and while the water parameters can have a little bit more leeway, a good skimmer is still beneficial.

Dromon
11/28/2016, 10:17 AM
It wouldn't hurt to put your stocking list here before you buy. I notice people here are pretty good at picking out potential conflicts between two fish selections, stocking orders and pointing out max size of fish. :cool:

humaguy
11/28/2016, 11:06 AM
I would definitely run a skimmer. FOWLR tankmates create a lot of waste and while the water parameters can have a little bit more leeway, a good skimmer is still beneficial.

This...perhaps the most important part of a fowlr...

scooter31707
11/28/2016, 12:31 PM
I agree with the skimmer and if you are using a 75 gallon, you will have plenty of room to do a in-sump skimmer along with the other equipment.