PDA

View Full Version : 210 build

MoodyReefer
11/26/2016, 12:13 PM
Hello all, I am new to the site but not new to fishkeeping. In the past I have had everything from an 8 gal biocube to a 180 gal mixed reef. I found a tank on Craigslist that I had to purchase. It is acrylic and is in the process sanding it with wet 1000/2000 grit while polishing with Meguiars Plastx. Now for the interesting part of my build. I plan on using pool sand as substrate. And along the way I will probably try several other methods that are controversial in building this on the cheap side an will report back with everything. This tank will be an aggressive Fowlr. Lighting will be shop lights within a hood as well as a 40 gal wet/dry diy trickle filter, and I have a G3 skimmer with a Sedra 500. Any input is appreciated however I am trying to show you can have a large tank relatively inexpensive. I will post prices of all purchases as well. Thanks for reading!

scooter31707
11/28/2016, 12:34 PM
I don't know about the pool sand. I believe it has a lot of silicates which will cause algae problems in a tank. I might be wrong, but maybe the experts will chime in soon.

humaguy
11/28/2016, 04:26 PM
go bb, save more.

MoodyReefer
12/10/2016, 07:31 PM
So far so good....the tank itself was in dire need of some sanding and repair....after trying several different methods including novus products as well as 600-800-1000-1500-2500 wet dry paper and finishing with a polishing comping meguirs plastx the tank is coming along. I have built the stand and so far my total cost is under $200. I have 250lbs of pool filter sand and all plumbing parts. I will post pics soon of the progress....after some careful measuring the tank is actually closer to 238 gallons but at this point 20 gallons doesn't change much! The stand is going to be finished with various sizes of 1x6 and my lighting I have determined will be led shop lights.

MoodyReefer
01/13/2017, 11:18 PM
Ok so in the last few weeks my basement flooded and my well went out so the project took a brief hold...however I am back at it. I found a brand new fluval fx6 for $150 and also have purchased a new aquamaxx coneS Q2 skimmer. So I have decided to have my fluval filter through my sump and skimmer area and return through pvc split into dual outlets. The good news is I'm getting new carpet, paint and trim throughout the basement so it could be a complete overhaul. Also I picked up a heater on amazon and a powerhead and a led shop light in the last few weeks. I will post pics soon as everything starts taking shape!

MoodyReefer
01/13/2017, 11:37 PM
Also I might add...since this is a budget build I am still around the $1000 mark. I have everything but the materials to finish the stand. Here is a brief breakdown of costs
Pool filter sand 50lbs x4 @ $15
Heater $30
Fluval fx6 $150
Various pvc and fittings $30
Aquamaxx skimmer $300
Materials to build stand $40 (still need about $100 to finish)
Salt mix $40
Tank and return pump $200
LED light $40
Powerhead $50

This is a simple breakdown of what I have spent. I have tools and general woodworking skills to build a stand and also all the equipment required. I may have missed something and also assume anybody getting into this hobby have the required testing kits, some way of mixing salt in a separate containers and etc...if not your price will be higher. I have used patience elbow grease polishing a tank, building a stand, running plumbing and etc to keenrhis build as budget friendly as possible. In larger cities I'm sure Craigslist is full of quality equipment. I have to be more selective and wait for the items I need to be available. I have a lot of base rock but another cost will be finding more rock!

carrots
01/14/2017, 05:50 AM
IMO with big fish means big waste. I would go bare bottom. It will make your maintenance easier and the water quality better for your fish. More time to sit and enjoy your tank.

MoodyReefer
01/14/2017, 07:44 PM
My tank bottom is pretty scratched and honestly one reason I was going to cover it. I only have enough substrate for about an 1 1/2" of sand which i felt would be ok as long as I disturb it often and keep good flow throughout.

GQsmooth
01/14/2017, 11:08 PM
IMO with big fish means big waste. I would go bare bottom. It will make your maintenance easier and the water quality better for your fish. More time to sit and enjoy your tank.

I wouldn't be enjoying a tank that's bare bottom, especially if it's my DT.

I personally find bare bottom tanks to be the definition of a lazy man's tank.

humaguy
01/15/2017, 11:54 AM
I personally find bare bottom tanks to be the definition of a lazy man's tank.

:p

MoodyReefer
02/07/2017, 05:53 PM
I have uploaded some pictures of the build in my album. I'm not sure how roads them on here.