PDA

View Full Version : Bed of macro in a reef?

Riona
11/26/2016, 04:48 PM
My LFS gave me one of these guys (http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Chasmo_saburr.htm) after she came in in a shrimp order and was munching on the merch. I was planning on no fish, just coral in my tank, and so I don't have a ton of rock in it at the moment. I was wondering if it is a possible thing to put a smaller bed of some sort of macro in the tank on one half to mimic the sea-grass beds that her species is from. Maybe ulva, or one of the taller growing gracilaria species? Does that sound like a doable idea at all? What kind do you suppose would work best in a 20 long as a species that would stay manageable, and more upright? Tank has 18 LEDs from Rapid on it.

JZinCO
11/26/2016, 11:02 PM
Maybe check out halimeda opuntia for a bushy look or several of the caulerpa species which have runners... Some caulerpa can creep up the rocks though and it sounds like you want a carpeting algae right?

jraker
11/26/2016, 11:05 PM
I think I would do caulerpa. It doesn't really matter which kind, because they are all generally the same. I've never kept ulva before, but from what I have seen, it grows in small clumps upwards, not so much in mats. Gracilaria is a slow grower, and won't grow in a mat. Caulerpa grows fast and mimics the shape of seagrass, so I think that would be your best bet. I have a ton of caulerpa prolifera, and it has formed a thick foresty area in a few areas of my tank.

Riona
11/27/2016, 06:43 PM
If I keep it separate from my rocks, it won't end up growing into them, right? That was the only reason I hadn't really considered it, since I knew the other two would at least be mowed down by hermits or snails if they took over.

Thank you :)

ncaldwell
11/27/2016, 07:39 PM
Caulerpa will grow roots under the sand and then one day your rocks will be covered. If you don't want it on the rocks steer clear of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jraker
11/27/2016, 09:56 PM
If it does get into your rocks, then it is difficult to remove. Trimming it back to the confined area of your tank every couple of days would be necessary. But it shouldn't be a problem if you keep it back.

inktomi
11/27/2016, 10:30 PM
In the past, tangs of mine have done a good job of keeping caulerpa in check. It can quickly become a plague though..

Riona
11/28/2016, 05:14 PM
I've got a 20, so having a tang is not exactly possible :)

So it definitely doesn't spread without the roots physically touching the rockwork, then? I don't have sand, so it would be a matter of putting a shallow pan with sand in the tank to do it that way.

inktomi
11/28/2016, 05:35 PM
It can also spread above ground. It spreads very much like some weeds in your yard.. stolens above and below the ground level. A plastic pan will certainly help though!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Riona
11/29/2016, 06:17 PM
Works for me. Thank all of you guys!