PDA

View Full Version : Finally back into the hobby need some nano lighting advice

buddah001
11/27/2016, 09:13 AM
Well yesterday I made the move to get back into the hobby after being out for 5-6+ years. I purschased 28g JBJ CFL all in one tank. I got a very good deal on this and planned on taking the hood off to mount a quality LED light. I really like the crisp blue lights and have found several different makes and models. I want to get everyone's opinion. I have no problem paying for quality as I don't want to buy something that I am just not going to like.i plan on keeping some SPS LPS and clams. I so far like the AI prime but not sure if this is big enough for this tank. I do like the control ability from my phone. AI does have the 26 which may be just a little large for this tank but I really don't see anywhere that they have size recommendations. Kessil is nice but also like the looks of the HALO system as well. What would you go with for the best led light on this tank if you could put it on there. Thanks

Nick30G
11/27/2016, 09:43 AM
Im getting this for my 37 Gallon Reef tank http://www.oceanrevivellc.com/goods.php?id=19 Many youtubers have it and it can basically grow anything.

Tron_954
11/27/2016, 09:46 AM
Id first have to inquire on what kind of coral you're expecting to keep in the tank...

If it will be a softie tank... the prime may be a decent option just to get you going...
If LPS or even SPS are expected than for sure something like the AI Hydra 26 or Kessil... Radion xr15, something with a bit more punch....

if you're on a budget and want a great light then get the prime but i think you'll be underpowered for that size tank...

Bpb
11/27/2016, 11:51 AM
I would definitely go with a gen 4 radion xr15 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zooman72
11/27/2016, 11:55 AM
Id first have to inquire on what kind of coral you're expecting to keep in the tank...

If it will be a softie tank... the prime may be a decent option just to get you going...
If LPS or even SPS are expected than for sure something like the AI Hydra 26 or Kessil... Radion xr15, something with a bit more punch....

if you're on a budget and want a great light then get the prime but i think you'll be underpowered for that size tank...

This is good advice - you are probably better off not going with an underpowered light initially as you probably going to want to keep a variety of species if you find yourself successful. Not being constrained by insufficient lighting will allow you to branch out to additional species in the future.