PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen a paly colony disappear over night?

deputydog95
11/27/2016, 01:01 PM
I just took this pic yesterday . See the top, probably 20 sunny D's.

Gone this morning. So weird...

The plug they were on wasn't glued down. Moved the rocks around it. Don't see it anywhere?

Ever seen a crab run off with a plug or anything similar?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161127/b111392e5d11949803c0c60102f0bec7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tgionet
11/28/2016, 09:19 AM
My urchin steals anything that isn't glued down and some things that are. He fragged up a wild zoa colony I had that was growing on mussel shells for me.

deputydog95
11/28/2016, 09:32 AM
I have a tuxedo urchin. He does move things around. I spent an hour yesterday searching through tank. Can't find the colony anywhere. Mystery continues.... Driving me nuts!

Tgionet
11/28/2016, 09:48 AM
I found some GSP on a snail shell he stole ~8 months ago yesterday. Worst was when he decided my war coral and acro frags needed to hug :(

sde1500
11/28/2016, 12:28 PM
If I had to guess it is dumped somewhere upside down behind a rock. Good luck, hopefully you find it and they are fine!

deputydog95
11/28/2016, 12:30 PM
Guess I'll start excavating :-)

75mixedreef
11/28/2016, 12:48 PM
I've had colonies disappear overnight before. I had injected them with vinegar the night before, but even then I was surprised it worked. Those things can be near indestructible. If you want it to or not, it will probably show up at some point.

tiffyreefer
12/01/2016, 06:21 PM
I had really nice palys disappear overnight. I tried for months to stab my sally light foot (my convicted criminal, or so i thought). About 6 months of randomly disappearing corals, I upgraded my tank. Well....I was moving live rock and a HUGE...i mean HUGE black worm came out of a rock as I lifted it out of the water. It wrapped the inside of a home depot 5 gallon bucket two times. It was about as thick as 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I am not exaggerating. The coral eater was dispatched, and i apologized to my sally lightfoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sawen
12/05/2016, 12:16 PM
It happened to me before.............turned a flashlight on in my tank at 3 in the morning and found out the culprits.....two huge Gorilla crabs!

deputydog95
12/13/2016, 02:59 PM
Ok, so I got hit again.

This time it was an old colony of purple death paly's. I had twenty, now I have around 5.

Since they're so toxic... Is it possible that whatever has been eating my stuff is likely now dead?

I still don't know who the culprit is, but I haven't seen the oversized emerald crab all day.

eastlake
12/16/2016, 07:47 AM
I had really nice palys disappear overnight. I tried for months to stab my sally light foot (my convicted criminal, or so i thought). About 6 months of randomly disappearing corals, I upgraded my tank. Well....I was moving live rock and a HUGE...i mean HUGE black worm came out of a rock as I lifted it out of the water. It wrapped the inside of a home depot 5 gallon bucket two times. It was about as thick as 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I am not exaggerating. The coral eater was dispatched, and i apologized to my sally lightfoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Eunicid/Bobbit worm, friend of mine had an 8 footer secretly living in his 700 gallon and quietly mowing down fields of waving hand anthelia. OP, time to don the red film flashlight and do some overnight stakeouts to see who is making meals of your coral. Or set a worm trap. There's a fascinating thread in the invert forum on making traps for those eunicid worms and stories from people who have built them and had success.

deputydog95
12/17/2016, 03:49 PM
So far the list destroyed is as follows:

Sunny D Colony
Purple Death Colony
Utter Chaos Colony

Hasn't touched the Bam Bams. Yet....

The tank is in my office so I'm generally not here when it's total lights out.

I'm pretty annoyed at this point.

Would it be safe to assume if I run out of Paly's that whatever it is will starve to death?

Where was this creature when my last tank became overrun with Grey Paly's????

TheAngelfish
12/18/2016, 04:25 AM
So far the list destroyed is as follows:

Would it be safe to assume if I run out of Paly's that whatever it is will starve to death?

Where was this creature when my last tank became overrun with Grey Paly's????

Might begin to target your other corals

Zatoichi
12/21/2016, 09:39 PM
I had a lovely gorilla crab that loved stealing all of my loose pieces LOL

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk