PDA

View Full Version : Those with mixing stations

Cymonous
11/27/2016, 02:38 PM
When you mix or after mixing saltwater and used it for changing your tank, do you leave some saltwater in your mixing station? Or does it get emptied? If some leftover, do you have a pump to circulate all the time?

SnailCharmer
11/27/2016, 02:40 PM
When you mix or after mixing saltwater and used it for changing your tank, do you leave some saltwater in your mixing station? Or does it get emptied? If some leftover, do you have a pump to circulate all the time?

I usually only fill my ro/do Chamber, then put as much water as I need into the saltwater side. So there's really none left over. Check out the station

https://youtu.be/mPB36812Sis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cymonous
11/27/2016, 02:45 PM
Looks like you leave at least a couple gallons inside. I worry about saltwater like my Reef Crystals being stagnant and creating a slime residue on the inside of container and pumps/heater.

SnailCharmer
11/27/2016, 02:46 PM
Looks like you leave at least a couple gallons inside. I worry about saltwater like my Reef Crystals being stagnant and creating a slime residue on the inside of container and pumps/heater.

Actually yeah. When I posted this, I filled both up with rodi. Now I only fill the fresh Chamber.

dallen2233
11/27/2016, 02:51 PM
Its good to clean them out every once and a while. Mine leaves about a half gallon in the tank when its empty. I do have to clean the residue out from time to time, but its mostly from the salt mix during mixing rather than the half gallon left behind.

Flippers4pups
11/27/2016, 03:29 PM
I typically fill only the amount of RO/DI water I need into my mixing can and make my saltwater. After the water change, I empty the remaining saltwater, rinse it out and dry till next time. Stays cleaner that way. My RO/DI holding can stays topped off and I empty it once a month and clean it.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161127/077268a2c0254907a8e32531d02d79b4.jpg

Cymonous
11/27/2016, 04:27 PM
Just seems like a waste to throw out good saltwater. I would need a couple gallons extra as the bottom of my bulkhead on the side of container is a couple inches above the bottom.

rjjr1963
11/27/2016, 04:46 PM
I fill RO/DI tank whenever I'm going to mix saltwater. I use about 1/2 of the salt water I mix and leave the pump running until the following week when I repeat the process.

Cymonous
11/27/2016, 04:50 PM
This is my setup. RODI on top, mix on bottom.

billdogg
11/27/2016, 06:21 PM
I use one 55g barrel for both jobs. Sure, there is a little left over that the pump (mag18) can't pick up, but it gets so diluted that I don't see how it could make a difference. At least it hasn't in over 25 years. I'll be sure to let you know if it does.

And +1 to cleaning it out, maybe twice a year.

ericarenee
11/27/2016, 06:53 PM
I have 3 tanks in my RO/DI mixing station each is 55 gallon barrel .

One for Fresh RO/DI water one for RO ONLY water and one for mixed salt water

the ro only water is for freshwater aquarium no reason to waste di resin

there is a series of valves connected to one pump so i can pull water from any of the tanks and put it in any of the tanks as well as pump it into my sump or to a house up to the fresh water tanks ..

To answer the question I usually mix saltwater on sunday . I almost never empty that tank all the way i just add more water and salt until proper salinity is reached .

the pump is a mag drive 24 its SUPER Fast