PDA

View Full Version : reef fanatic regulator

CTaylor
11/27/2016, 04:25 PM
Hi am planning on getting: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/reef-fanatic-deluxe-co2-regulator-solenoid.html

For my GEO reactor, which I'm also about to get.
I've used cheaper regulators before which have failed.
I know it's not THE BEST out there. But will I have issues with this one? Is it a solid choice in other words?

Thanks!

CTaylor
11/27/2016, 08:39 PM
^^^

Bpb
11/28/2016, 07:01 AM
Hate to say it but the reef fanatic IS a cheaper regulator. It just has a reef specific name and shiny coating. Still a brass single stage regulator with bulk quality solenoid and needle valve. It will serve its purpose and if brand new probably not leak, but being a single stage regulator it WILL be subject to varying output pressure as he tank empties which will cause for constant needle valve and pressure adjustments to keep it stable.

You should really give the "how to build a co2 regulator for your calcium reactor" mega thread. Yes, a dual stage regulator will be more expensive. But you can definitely build one or have one built for under $250 which is a worthy investment. It will out live any other piece of equipment you will own, and will have perfectly stable output pressure clear until the tank is emptu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dendrite
11/28/2016, 07:09 AM
I've had one for almost three years. The adjustment valve could be a little better with finer adjustment but all in all works just fine. It came with my used set-up, an MRC-1 with milwaukee controller and 20 lb. tank. Whenever tempted to "upgrade " to an electronic model, I stop myself and ask, What for?

Bpb
11/28/2016, 07:10 AM
That's the beauty of buying quality right out of the gate. No need to upgrade

Bpb
11/28/2016, 07:12 AM
Also...have you had an end of tank dump with it before? You may have been able to catch it in time or a controller saved you. But, once you experience an end of tank dunp, it becomes abundantly clear how valuable a dual stage reg is

dendrite
11/28/2016, 03:24 PM
never experienced an end of tank dump but I get a lot of instability in dKh when the media load in the reactor falls to 30% of the column, necessitating dropping the controller pH , increasing CO2, or flow or combination of the above

dendrite
11/28/2016, 03:25 PM
or simply refilling the reactor