PDA

View Full Version : rtb just split :(

CTaylor
11/27/2016, 04:36 PM
Hi,

Isn't this a sign of stress? I've had it for 18 months. I try to feed it most days, and it seemed happy with that. And I think it more than doubled in size in the 18 months. Its home to my mating pair of percs. The rest of my LPS and SPS seem to be doing well right now.

**I did lower the intensity of my lighting -- 65 gallon under two kessil 360's which I love. I reduced the all out intensity and full spectrum down to about 55% and 55%. Thats the main change that happened in the past 2 weeks.

Reason for this: I had it peak daily at 100% white/blue + 100% intensity overall -- bascially cranked at full juice. I realized after a few years! MANY of the acros do not like all this white light intensity, and the others seems to tolerate it. All the SPS and LPS are doing much better now with the new lower intensities. THis is for a new thread though!

thanks

saf1
11/27/2016, 05:00 PM
Some will say yes. Others will say when feeding. I personally don't think anyone knows just like we don't know why they lose their bubble tips.

My personal opinion is if your overall tank is healthy then don't worry about it. I started with one and now have 5. Everything is doing well but it splits here and there over the course of 6 years give or take. Since everything in the tank is doing well I just let it go.

(I don't target feed btw).

zooman72
11/27/2016, 05:11 PM
Isn't this a sign of stress? I've had it for 18 months. I try to feed it most days, and it seemed happy with that. And I think it more than doubled in size in the 18 months.

Splitting can occur from stress, but also from frequent feeding and growth. Bubble tips frequently split (at least most of them do), especially when fed, and if everything else is in good shape, then I would not stress out about it...

CTaylor
11/27/2016, 08:38 PM
is a twice a week direct feeding best for slow steady growth and minimize splitting? I rather have one really big one then several little ones... that end up being like pink aptaisia :-/

thanks!

zooman72
11/27/2016, 08:48 PM
They can typically survive without direct feeding if sufficiently lit, so 1-2 times per week is probably more than enough...

saf1
11/27/2016, 10:06 PM
They will catch what drifts by. Or, if a clown is hosting they will take care of it. In my case I don't direct feed but I will see them catch food when it falls/lands on their tentacles.