PDA

View Full Version : how to deal against green turf algae in fish only

buraccha
11/28/2016, 10:10 AM
Hi,

the title says all.

Here is my water parameters:

nitrates: 1 and phosphate: 0.04

I remove all by hand but after a week they keep growing and i run cheato that doesnt really help

im thinking to add a sea urchin, but i dont know wich ones are the best for turf algae: diadema or tuxedo. Otherwise do you have other ideas?

thank you

Michael Hoaster
11/28/2016, 10:26 AM
Urchins are effective, but starve to death once algae is exhausted. I'd look for tangs that eat turf algae. Prune chaeto weekly to keep it soaking up nutrients.

Also, you may consider letting it grow, naturally filtering your tank water. Or add other macro algae that you like. I've always thought fish-only tanks could benefit hugely from growing plants. It's a thought, good luck!

jayball
11/28/2016, 11:08 AM
There is also the option of starving it out with GFO. You will have to remove your chaetomorpha before it falls apart. It may take a while for all the PO4 to leach out of your rocks if you go this way.

scooter31707
11/28/2016, 11:28 AM
I had great success with Marine Algaefix by API.

jrobison
11/28/2016, 02:13 PM
I have had a lot of luck with algae building a small turfscrubber. I found some designs and info on wet web media.

buraccha
11/28/2016, 02:22 PM
if i use ultra algae x from fauna marine, is it gonna kill everything including my chaeto and never come back after the treatment?

laga77
11/28/2016, 03:12 PM
There is also the option of starving it out with GFO. You will have to remove your chaetomorpha before it falls apart. It may take a while for all the PO4 to leach out of your rocks if you go this way.

I run GFO and carbon dose in my FOWLR and the cheato in the sump is just fine.
In fact, I pull a small handful out and throw into the tank everyday to feed the fish.

humaguy
11/28/2016, 03:25 PM
Lots of water changes and leave the lights off..

cougareyes
11/28/2016, 04:02 PM
I had turbo snails mow down a red turf algae problem I had.

TheRegion83
11/29/2016, 07:18 AM
Changing the lights or leaving them off helped a great deal with my algae. I added a wavemaker and I also resolved my cyno problem as well. I've read lights will really help aid the growth of algae.