PDA

View Full Version : Jabeo Wavemakers

Rwiesner20
11/28/2016, 06:50 PM
Hi, all for some reason search engine not working on my phone so if I am double threading please send me there thanks. I am in the process of buying everything for my 180 gallon reef build. I was currently looking at the new pp-8, pp-15 and pp-20 model. I have watched lots of videos of u boxing and first use but no follow ups on how there still working. Anyone have any experience with these and what's your input. I don't think the 8's will be big enough for my tank but I think two 15's will work. Once again thanks.

ali1
11/28/2016, 07:24 PM
Hi, all for some reason search engine not working on my phone so if I am double threading please send me there thanks. I am in the process of buying everything for my 180 gallon reef build. I was currently looking at the new pp-8, pp-15 and pp-20 model. I have watched lots of videos of u boxing and first use but no follow ups on how there still working. Anyone have any experience with these and what's your input. I don't think the 8's will be big enough for my tank but I think two 15's will work. Once again thanks.

Find alternative quality pumps, jebao is not there. Went all jebao products for my 300g build. My 3 15s died one month after each other. All within 8months. My $10 koralia had more runtime than jebao. If you do a search, you'll see similar reviews where jebao powerheads die within 24months

Jebao.com - no email, phone number, support or warranty terms.

No customer service. If you do find a company that warrants the jebao, i still dont like playing the warranty/RMA game so often

Rwiesner20
11/28/2016, 07:54 PM
Appreciate the information, any that you suggest that our fairly decent priced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jayreefer
11/28/2016, 08:04 PM
While ali1 had had bad experience I have not. Bought 2 slightly used RW-20's (pre pp series) that have been flawless for 10 months and I have no idea how long they where used before I got them, but they did look brand new. With all the bad press on here I did buy a lightly used RW-15 as a back up that has never left its box. I found 2x RW-20's is great for my 240 that is 8' long, so 2x of the PP-15s should be good for a 6' tank.

I am on a reefer budget so all my hardware is budget priced or used.

As for higher end pumps the best rep is Tunze. They seem to have less failures/issues compared to anyone.

Rwiesner20
11/28/2016, 08:12 PM
Jay reefer, I am also on a tight budget especially with Christmas coming up. But I figured with the vast experience in this site, I would be able to get tons of input. Thanks yall so far.

ali1
11/28/2016, 08:29 PM
Maybe go with jebao and have a backup cheapo

FirstContact
11/28/2016, 09:08 PM
Happy Holidays

I have two RW15s running in my 120 for a year. They still work. The lights on one of the controllers doesn't work anymore, but I hooked them up to my controller, so that no longer matters. I like the Jebao PP/RW powerheads a lot, but quality control/product longevity is/has been a known reported issue. I still like this route better than purchasing Ecotechs. And if I wanted to spend several hundreds of dollars, it would be on Maxspect Gyres.

For a 180 gallon I would recommend the RW20s. Turn them down if the flow is too much. Purchasing from someplace with a warranty like Reefbreeders is an option. Others look for the cheapest possible which I think is EBay.

Rwiesner20
11/28/2016, 09:49 PM
Which controller are you using with them. Will check out that site.

FirstContact
11/28/2016, 10:01 PM
I'm controlling them with a Vertex Cerebra. Jebao makes a controller specifically for their powerheads. You can purchase that controller at fish-street. Google Fish Street RW20.

Shaummy
11/28/2016, 10:14 PM
if you use a web retailer like Reefbreeders they will support you and your products really well.

I've got 2 RW8's running in my 90 gal for over 2 years now. If you keep them clean etc.. they can last.

BryanS4
11/28/2016, 10:32 PM
Ive bought 10 RWs for my tanks over a two year period and not one of them lasted more than 18 months.

It's a cheap product. Spend the money up front and avoid buying twice.

JaimeAdams
11/28/2016, 11:07 PM
What about on Amazon with the added 3 year protection plan?

zooman72
11/29/2016, 08:45 AM
I too suffered multiple failures in a relatively short time (less than a year), but if you do decide to go with Jebao, use a vendor like ReefBreeders for the warranty.

I would suggest considering either EcoTech VorTechs (MP40's probably enough for a 180g) or Tunze Turbelles (either the 6095 or 6105 is more than enough and controllable, but you can go bigger).

Spiffy
11/29/2016, 09:02 AM
Jebaos are hit or miss in terms of reliability from what I have been reading. A few people have managed to have a pump last for a while, while the majority of others have constant failures and have to get replacements at regular intervals. Just shell out the extra bucks and get something that is going to last for a while. In the hobby, you get what you pay for. I have had no issues with my Vortechs, and I have also heard great things about Hydor (Koralia) pumps as well.

Voodoojar
11/29/2016, 09:13 AM
I can buy four Jebao RW8 or 10 for the price of one mp40. Hooked up to my Apex I have extremely precise control over the Jebaos. I just dont see the point of sending that much on a powerhead.

scooter31707
11/29/2016, 09:32 AM
I have 2 RW-8s and 1 RW-4. IMO, I think with the Jebao is that you need to stay on top of the maintenance with them. I did a test with me cleaning about once a month, they still perform great. If I went past a month, say about 2 months, they would start losing their flow power a little bit and I can start to hear the motor squeak a little. Just my 2 cents on my experience with them

FirstContact
11/29/2016, 10:06 AM
What about on Amazon with the added 3 year protection plan?

3 year protection plan? That's probably the best way to go.

falconut
11/30/2016, 11:55 AM
I've had my RW-8 for about 2 years and it's still going strong. I pull it every 3-6 months and clean it off. I don't use the mode where it stops and starts constantly, I just use the mode were it ramps up and down randomly.

I had it on the wave mode (stop and start constantly) in the beginning, but I just felt that didn't look good for the longevity of the pump. I'd be curious to heard if the pumps that failed were run in this mode.

I just got a new PP-15 today. Hopefully it will work as good as the RW-8. As far as size, on your tank you should go bigger than the RW-8. The RW-8 isn't as much flow as I hoped on my 90. We'll see if the PP-15 is more of what I was looking for. I plan on using both the RW-8 & PP-15.

Spectorman
11/30/2016, 11:58 AM
Jebao's are crap. I have yet to have one last 5 months.

AZRippster
11/30/2016, 08:46 PM
I had 2 RW-15 and 2 RW-20 (PP series predecessor) run rock solid for well over a year and a half. They do need to be cleaned frequently though, especially if your tank support strong coralline growth. I would normally clean them real well somewhere between 2-3 months. I have noticed the smaller Jebao pumps tend to fail quicker and need to be cleaned even more often to maintain performance and reliability.

dustinc89
11/30/2016, 11:06 PM
I have 2 PP-20's in my 180... they are quite powerful, I can't use else mode, and it can make waves and splash on the floor... I had mp-40 on my old tank... only been running them for 4 months on wave 1 mode at 20% (or power mode 2) seem to be decent... much quieter than the ecotech mp40

kendrid
11/30/2016, 11:53 PM
My PP-15 was quiet but failed a month ago. I purchased it in June of this year from a seller on Amazon. I am waiting to hear back if they will replace it.

I have two RW-8s that are 1.5-2 years old and both work great. Quality it hit or miss with Jebao.

falconut
12/01/2016, 06:29 AM
After installing the new PP-15, it definitely has much more flow than my RW-8. Would recommend two of them for a 6 foot tank, the RW-8 would seem a little light.

Sethjamto
12/01/2016, 09:19 AM
I'm running 2 WP-60's on my 300g and love them. Quiet and powerful. I've been running them for just over 2 years. I did have to replace one when it failed, but at the cost of them, I wasn't too worried about it.

zooman72
12/01/2016, 10:40 AM
Quality is hit or miss with Jebao.

That about sums it up for a lot of us...:thumbsup:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :beer:

miroch
12/01/2016, 07:55 PM
My RW-8 lasted just over a year even with bi-weekly cleanings. I didn't have the money upfront for a Vortech so I went with the Jebao. Now that my RW-8 quit, I just purchased a used MP-10 and will not go back to the Jebao powerheads.

JohnnyBoyPerth
12/01/2016, 09:16 PM
Have two RW-15's, been going strong for nearly 2 years.

Only clean them every 6months or so. Still scrub up brand new. Never had any issues with them but as others have reported its hit and miss.

Running both pumps in wave1 at 40% since day1

shifty51008
12/02/2016, 09:01 AM
I can buy four Jebao RW8 or 10 for the price of one mp40. Hooked up to my Apex I have extremely precise control over the Jebaos. I just dont see the point of sending that much on a powerhead.

1st off where can you buy 10 of them cheaper than a vortech? 2nd ive used jebao pumps and none lated over a year so if I kept buying new ones once a year I would be losing money compaired to my tunze's that have been running flawless for over 12 years only cleaned twice a year where as I had to clean my jebao's every few weeks or there wouldn't be any flow

Voodoojar
12/02/2016, 09:13 AM
1st off where can you buy 10 of them cheaper than a vortech? 2nd ive used jebao pumps and none lated over a year so if I kept buying new ones once a year I would be losing money compaired to my tunze's that have been running flawless for over 12 years only cleaned twice a year where as I had to clean my jebao's every few weeks or there wouldn't be any flow

Four RW8 or RW10 for the price of a vortech.

shifty51008
12/02/2016, 09:21 AM
Four RW8 or RW10 for the price of a vortech.

ok so I would have to buy 12 jebao's to last as long as my tunze's, in that case I could buy 3 tunze's. this is why I would spend the extra money up front, and tunze's cs is second to none even with 12 year old pumps they go out of their way to help you out if need be.

zooman72
12/02/2016, 02:49 PM
Yup, my Tunze's have lasted a whole lot longer than any of the Jebao's I tried, but then again, so have my EcoTech Vortech's... :)

I am lucky I clean either of them more than once a year - and I mean really clean them, not the occasional brush off. Even then, I am pretty sure they would go longer between servicing intervals if I pushed it. In fact, if you look around, there are numerous aquarists here (and elsewhere) that have posted images of their Tunze's completely and thickly covered in coralline algae, and yet still running - I highly doubt that would be possible with the Jebao's... :(

ali1
12/02/2016, 05:05 PM
Maybe if we made a thread for jebao success/failures and listed what speeds they were running at. Id like to make a safe assumption that jebao failures including mine were running above 50% speed in wavemaker mode(on/off). Mines were running at 70-80% speed

falconut
12/02/2016, 09:08 PM
My 2 year old RW-8 (still going) has been running on else mode at 100% speed.

FirstContact
12/02/2016, 10:09 PM

What's true for Jebaos is true for Tunzes on the reverse side. I've had several Tunze's and none of them lasted anywhere near 12 years. More like 4-6 years. And to get that wide flow from a Tunze that you would get from an RW15 or 20 is going to cost you plenty.

DamonG
12/02/2016, 11:01 PM
I had 2 RW-15 and 2 RW-20 (PP series predecessor) run rock solid for well over a year and a half. They do need to be cleaned frequently though, especially if your tank support strong coralline growth. I would normally clean them real well somewhere between 2-3 months. I have noticed the smaller Jebao pumps tend to fail quicker and need to be cleaned even more often to maintain performance and reliability.
Funny, I thought the same to myself.. The smaller pumps seem much less reliable also..

I have a 180, and I actually have 2 pp20 and 2pp15 on my system.. All 4 are controlled with the jbwave controllers, and I run deep and random pulse modes throughout the day with the range from 45 to 100%..

From note 5.. rip note 7

shifty51008
12/03/2016, 12:47 AM
What's true for Jebaos is true for Tunzes on the reverse side. I've had several Tunze's and none of them lasted anywhere near 12 years. More like 4-6 years. And to get that wide flow from a Tunze that you would get from an RW15 or 20 is going to cost you plenty.

to get the wide flow will cost plenty? most if not all now come with the wide flow.

even at 4-6 years you will still be ahead or even at 4 years, I would say you would be way ahead when they were cheaper but jebao's have really jumped in price sense coming out.

FirstContact
12/03/2016, 01:21 AM
For me most of the Tunzes are more directional than wide flow. They have a couple of specific models that they specifically advertise as wider flow. You'd have to go with a 6155 or something close to that. That's about $400. Then you are going to need at least two. That's about $800. I think if my RWs last two years or so I'm ahead and I'm halfway there already. Plus I made a cable for them and am controlling them with a controller.

1000rrstunna
12/05/2016, 11:55 PM
Mine never fail... Great low cost option.