PDA

View Full Version : I think i have velvet in my tank

Paaty
11/28/2016, 08:20 PM
About 2 weeks ago i purchased a regal angel that was eating at the store and looked healthy. I decided not to quarantine because it is a delicate fish and my quaratine skills are lacking to say the least.

Well about a 3 days after i introduced to fish he started showing signs of illness and hid a lot and 3 days later he died.

I have a small 3 inch queen that has been twitching for the last 4 days and today seems only to be btreathing from one side. He is still active and eating well. I see some dusting on his fins but don't see any on his body.

I also have a 5 inch gold flake that has a dusting of fine looking sand or salt on his fins and a little on his eyes and body. His breathing seems fine and is also eating well.

All other fish seem fine.

Please let me know if my suspicion is right and i have velvet. Also, please let me know what you think i should do in terms of treatment.

scooter31707
11/29/2016, 09:41 AM
Well with the Queen Angel, that sounds like it may have gill flukes. Others I am unsure, but I would think if it was Velvet, they would probably be dead by now because it's almost too late once we id that's it's velvet.

125mph
11/29/2016, 10:27 AM
Fine looking sand sounds like ich...

Paaty
11/29/2016, 12:41 PM
You think i should treat with prazi? If yes should i treat my whole system as all it is basically just live rock and some mushrooms.

125mph
11/29/2016, 12:43 PM
Hmm I dont think prazi does anything to ich or velvet.. I'm using it right now for flukes though.

Paaty
11/29/2016, 12:57 PM
i have never seen a fish breath heavily from just one side. Also he started flashing yesterday rubbing his gill. He is still eating nori and mysis today. Although, he is hiding a more than usual as he is usually always out durring the day.

Let me know what you would do in my place.

Paaty
11/29/2016, 01:00 PM
If not velvet, maybe i have a combination of flukes and ich?

Paaty
11/29/2016, 01:49 PM
I am also noticing a small patch of discolouration on one side.

Paaty
11/29/2016, 01:51 PM
Today makes about 7 days since the regal died, not sure if that gives any sort of timeline.

Paaty
11/29/2016, 04:35 PM
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as my Queen looks to be getting worst, as he does not seem to be swimming as strong.

Triggerfish
11/29/2016, 04:47 PM
velvet can wipe out a whole system within a couple of days. so im guessing luckily not that. any pics?

Paaty
11/29/2016, 04:59 PM
I tried taking picks but does not really show, but i will give it a try.

Triggerfish
11/29/2016, 05:04 PM
biggest thing here is to see if it multiplies.
325g system and you're avoiding quarantining? have you give that any 2nd thoughts?

Paaty
11/29/2016, 07:48 PM
velvet can wipe out a whole system within a couple of days. so im guessing luckily not that. any pics?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161130/1bba42cebf71af95000baa0c096cd746.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paaty
11/29/2016, 07:50 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161130/1bba42cebf71af95000baa0c096cd746.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161130/7c44f6bacb0909cdca084c0928fb16eb.jpg

Paaty
11/29/2016, 07:53 PM
It is hard to see from the pictures but the goldflake hase little white dots like a sand or dust on the black fins and the queen also has cloudy fins and have been flashing a lot and is breathing is heavy from one side.

Triggerfish
11/29/2016, 10:33 PM
That goldflake sure is sweet lookin. Yeah kinda hard to see. Small white spots does sound like ich. I would probably treat for that.

microlady
11/30/2016, 08:18 AM

Not always. If the fish are strong, it can take a week or so. If they look like they were rolled in powdered sugar, I'm thinking its velvet. Hiding from the light and swimming in the flow of powerheads are the other telltale signs.

Paaty
11/30/2016, 11:08 AM
Neither of the fish have been swimming in the powerhead. The queen is the only fish that seems to be breathing heavily (just from one side).

The goldflake looks like a dusting almost a little furry, very fine looking.

Both are still eating very well as of last night, they both constantly graze on the nori and have been eating both nls pettets and mysis. The Goldflake does not hide at all but the queen has been hiding more than usual.

It has been 7-8 days since the first signs of illness.

I am thinking of starting my display with a round of prazi today, any thoughts?

I also ordered some nls ich powder (cp) which should be in tomorrow.

Thanks

Paaty
11/30/2016, 11:13 AM
The only things that I have done so far is that I fed them NLS ich shield for 4 days and I have done almost daily 10% water changes over the last week.

Paaty
11/30/2016, 07:09 PM
Update:

Goldflake still eating well. Breathing might be getting a little heavier and his side fins starting to look a little ragged. Might have a little more dusting on body.

Queen's breathing seems a little better today, still flashing and showing some discolouration on his sides. Still eating well and seems to be hiding less.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Paaty
11/30/2016, 07:19 PM
https://vimeo.com/193807645

Paaty
11/30/2016, 07:21 PM
Not sure if the video shows better, but figured it would be worth the try.

Paaty
12/01/2016, 09:57 AM
I am suppose to receive the nls ich shield powder today and I think I am going to add it to my display tank.

Please let me know if the is a reason I should not?

I only have have a few shrooms that I will remove and if I were to lose them it would not be the end of the world.

Also, if there is anyone with with experience please let me know the dosage you used?

Breakthecycle2
12/01/2016, 11:32 AM
I am suppose to receive the nls ich shield powder today and I think I am going to add it to my display tank.

Please let me know if the is a reason I should not?

I only have have a few shrooms that I will remove and if I were to lose them it would not be the end of the world.

Also, if there is anyone with with experience please let me know the dosage you used?

Adding NLS powder to your tank will wipe out all your inverts..if you have any.

Triggerfish
12/01/2016, 11:33 AM
for a FOWLR i would treat with copper.

Paaty
12/01/2016, 05:12 PM
If i treat with cupramine, then will my live rock continue to leach copper even once the copper has been removed with carbon?

Paaty
12/01/2016, 05:14 PM
I have to do something quick as my goldflake is looking worst tonight. However my queen seems to be doing a little better.

Luckily both are still eating.

Paaty
12/01/2016, 05:16 PM
My local pet shop owner also sugested the copper (cupramine) route. I am just worried that the live will continue to leach copper for years after.

Paaty
12/02/2016, 08:54 PM
I added the cupramine yesterday and so far it has not been going well. I added the recomended dose and tested to .25.

All my Angels are having a hard time, even the ones that were not showing signs of illness are now breathing heavily and have foggy eyes. My tangs seem to be handling it much better. Not sure if it is because i am getting die off, i tested amonia and nitrate and both tested zero.

Not sure what to do, should i remove the cupramine with carbon? I am going to do a water change tonight, i am not sure if i should abandon the treatment.

My goldflake does not look like he is going to make it through the night.

piusma
12/05/2016, 08:47 AM
Just noticed you have corals in your tank. If you have dosed copper, I would recommend removing those corals from your tank now. They'll die and foul your water for sure. Any invert, crabs, hermit crabs, snails etc should be removed too.

I would do start making some water for water change in case you have a mass die off. Unfortunately I'm not an expert in fish diseases and I loose my fair share of fish during QT myself. However, I'd rather loose a few fish in QT than to loose my healthy fish in the DT.

At this point, all you can do is keep up the copper testing, your live rock and sand is going to absorb the copper and it'll be quite hard to maintain the right level. Just keep an eye on it, do small adjustments. Perform water changes to keep up the water quality. There isn't much you can do about it now, just keep up the testing and water change, redose your copper and ride it out.

Good luck

epicfish
12/05/2016, 03:37 PM
I have nothing to add other than I'm sorry for what you're going through. Beautiful fishes. It's truly a hard situation when the diagnosis isn't clear!

Good luck.

Khazmodain
12/07/2016, 01:30 PM
Any updates? Angels are one of the species that are copper sensitive. I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. The preferred method (in my opinion) would have been removing the angels from the DT, move them into a QT, and treat with CP (ich shield powder). Tangs are fine with copper but I would not use with angels.