PDA

View Full Version : Insurance on large tank/home

btb72
11/29/2016, 04:42 AM
In the planning stages of a large tank (few years away, when I build my new house on the farm I just bought). Do you guys get a special kind of insurance for these tanks or just have a write in on your home owners insurance? Thanks

Desmondkg
11/29/2016, 06:59 AM
I have my tank insurance done separately through my house insurance. Covers tank and equipment and all life in the tank for a storm or large failure. Also the floor and room it is in.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

reefrf
11/29/2016, 09:28 AM
I have my tank insurance done separately through my house insurance. Covers tank and equipment and all life in the tank for a storm or large failure. Also the floor and room it is in.

I have to ask, what company do you use? I have never heard of any insurance company covering livestock under any condition. And depending on the state many insurance companies don't cover at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btb72
11/29/2016, 10:13 AM
He lives in Norway.

reefrf
11/29/2016, 10:15 AM
He lives in Norway.

Ah thanks. I forget this forum world wide [emoji41]

Desmondkg
11/29/2016, 11:05 AM
Sorry i did not mention this. My insurances all go through my bank for everything i insure. Tank is just 1 of them. They dont cover a fish or a few corals dying. More like an entire crash due to weather or failure

reefrf
11/29/2016, 11:58 AM
Sorry i did not mention this. My insurances all go through my bank for everything i insure. Tank is just 1 of them. They dont cover a fish or a few corals dying. More like an entire crash due to weather or failure

That is awesome they will cover that! I wish mine did.

DasCamel
11/29/2016, 12:02 PM
Every type of insurance is possible. Some just not practical...

worm5406
11/29/2016, 02:05 PM
...Nor financially obtainable.

d-man
11/29/2016, 10:21 PM
Yes, my insurance covers all my equipment and any damage done from water. But no livestock

reefrf
11/29/2016, 11:26 PM
Derek, who's your insurance carrier?

biomek
11/30/2016, 01:10 PM
i live just outside of Dallas and my house was extremely damaged back in April with softball sized hail storm that damaged approximately 80% of the homes in Wylie. Our damage totaled out around $85,000. surprisingly the tank was never hit by any of the hail that smashed threw the front windows. That being said, our insurance company (Farmers) paid to have a local LFS break my tank down and moved to a storage unit (also paid for) during the repairs. Shop took my livestock and rock in for credit. We moved back into the house in September and just a couple weeks ago LFS moved and set the tank back up again. Insurance paid for the move, set back up, new plumbing, new substrate and 175lbs of some kickass hatian live rock. happy to see that all in all, they covered us to the extent of about $3,500 on the tank moves and set up. That being said, i've talked to others in our neighborhood also using Farmers and they still haven't had their houses even repaired yet. I think it all comes down to the individual adjusters and obviously your total coverage. we never had anything special to cover the tank, just had the house and contents covered around 120% replacement value. i learned a lot through this process and number 1 being, it never hurts to ask your adjuster if something will be covered or not. had tons of stuff covered that i wouldn't have thought of ie Weber grill got dented from a large hail stone and she covered full replacement cost when it still worked fine, was just banged up!

Mishri
11/30/2016, 05:20 PM
I've asked my insurance agent about covering various items in my house and she said they are all just covered under my general policy, which means any goods in my house that are damaged (not by pets) are covered no matter the cost. So.. you are moving something expensive, drop it and break it, it's covered. If it's manufacturer defect, it's not covered.. (you of course wouldn't want to file too many claims, and especially wouldn't make sense if the value is less than your deductible)

If you tank explodes and you have hundreds of gallons of water worth of water damage, your basic homeowner policy should cover that.. these all vary state to state and company by company, but by and large, it's like if you have a pipe leak or water heater, they cover the damages, a fish tank is no different. -whether or not they'll cover the cost of replacing the tank itself I don't know, might depend on if they consider it a manufacturing defect. but any equipment damaged from the tank leak should be covered.

livestock you wont find coverage for in the US, but like biomek found, if any kind of pets need temporary living space, most major insurance companies will cover those costs, whether it's a dog, cat, or fish..

Best bet is to talk to your insurance company and find out what they would/wouldn't cover.

btb72
11/30/2016, 10:04 PM
Ok sweet. Thanks everyone guess just the home insurance will probably do it. I'll have to talk to my insurance agent about it. Just didn't want 400 or so gallons ruining my flooring or other stuff if it did break