PDA

View Full Version : Nano Tank Advice

malx
11/30/2016, 03:47 PM
Hi, All.

I have a 10 gallon Nuvo that I want to use as a Nano tank to keep..

1 Black Clown
1 Anemone Crab
1 Small Green Carpet Anemone
A snail or two for detritus control.

I know that the Carpet Anemone may outgrow the tank and if he does I can re-home him and get a small one or I'm willing to frag him. BRS has a great video on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwb92qDQABs

My questions come with Flow and Lighting. What kind of flow and light do you recommend? Will the flow from the return I have on the Nuvo 10 be enough or do I have to put in a separate powerhead. It was enough when I was growing out some zoa's, mushrooms, and leathers. What about lights? Anyone have a good light they recommend for the Anemone? Right now I have the standard one that came with the tank. Looks like this: http://media.cdn.bulkreefsupply.com/media/catalog/product/f/u/fusionnano10.jpg again was fine for softies.

Let me know!
Joey

AlSimmons
11/30/2016, 04:23 PM
If you want an anemone to thrive long term you might as well just bight the bullet and put something like a Kessil A160WE over it and call it a day. The options are endless after that IMO. As far as flow goes, maybe a Koralia Evolution 850? It might sound like a lot on paper, even with that other pump you have, but that GPH can be deceiving sometimes.

malx
12/01/2016, 09:21 AM
If you want an anemone to thrive long term you might as well just bight the bullet and put something like a Kessil A160WE over it and call it a day. The options are endless after that IMO. As far as flow goes, maybe a Koralia Evolution 850? It might sound like a lot on paper, even with that other pump you have, but that GPH can be deceiving sometimes.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not opposed to adding gear to the tank! If I need a power head id probably get an MP10. Any recommendation on flow with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malx
01/17/2017, 11:30 PM
Hey, want to bump this thread. Does anyone know if the return flow from my Fusion Nuvo 10 is enough for flow a Carpet Anemone? In researching them, people say they often get stuck in powerheads. Than from Tidal Gardens says he likes to keep them in tanks that only have a return. What are your thoughts on that?

For light, I decided to go with the AI Prime LED

cubsFAN
01/17/2017, 11:54 PM
I'd consider a bubble tip anemone before a carpet though personally I wouldn't bother with a nem in such a small tank. Carpets are difficult to care for. I don't think you can divide a carpet nem like you can a bubble tip. Other hosts like euphyllia, toadstool, or hairy mushrooms wouldnt be a bad choice and are real easy to care for.

The return on the nuvo 10 might work for some soft corals, but I'd consider upgrading the pump or putting something in the display to supplement flow for nems, SPS, or LPS.

AI prime and the kessil 160 will grow anything in that tank provided good water chemistry.
There are several others available. Check out reviews in the equipment section. LED is the easiest way to light that tank.

I'd ask this question in the clowns and nem section. Lots of good info there.

aznflyfisherman
01/18/2017, 01:57 AM
You have some good options, i think the nuvo is open to? i would go with AI prime hd, or reefbreeder nano wifi since u dont need to buy a controller. For flow i would just get the hydor rotator flow attachment n go from there.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10227&pictureid=75301

Crusinjimbo
01/18/2017, 06:47 AM
Mp10 does a great job on my 10G and I have an 18" long river style algae turf scrubber as filtration. Lights, go bigger than you think you need and dial back as needed.

malx
01/28/2017, 12:56 AM
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the advice here. I ended up with a Kessil A80, their new light, putting out about 190 par at the surface.

An apex Jr.

And an MP10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk