PDA

View Full Version : Does it get easier with Sun coral?

Duncanr9t
12/01/2016, 05:35 AM
So, being stubborn and refusing to believe how hard sun corals are to keep purely based on the fact that they are NPS and need feeding....I went and got myself a Sun coral about 2 weeks ago.

They never really opened in my tank, placed in medium flow, medium height on edge on tank (less light)

I did the bowl feeding method once about 4 days after I got it.....nothing....
Today (10 days later) I saw 2 out of 12 heads open fully....so I decided to bowl feed it.

Managed to feed 5-6 heads with a mix of 1 spoon Reef Chilli, Fauna LPS pellets and 5ml of Brightwell Zooplanktos....

Had to sit there with a small turkey baster and simulate a small current and surprisingly.....all the heads started to extend. It took 15mins and I only manage to feed 5-6 heads, didn't dare risk the drop in temperature in the small bowl so I placed it back into the tank.

Does it get easier for you guys who have Sun corals?

Do I really need to 'bowl' feed them all the time? I ask because that mixture I used to feed it was enough for a 50 gallon tank......the bowl was 1 litre (0.25 gallon).....

laga77
12/01/2016, 07:57 AM
So, being stubborn and refusing to believe how hard sun corals are to keep purely based on the fact that they are NPS and need feeding....I went and got myself a Sun coral about 2 weeks ago.

They never really opened in my tank, placed in medium flow, medium height on edge on tank (less light)

I did the bowl feeding method once about 4 days after I got it.....nothing....

Today (10 days later) I saw 2 out of 12 heads open fully....so I decided to bowl feed it.

Managed to feed 5-6 heads with a mix of 1 spoon Reef Chilli, Fauna LPS pellets and 5ml of Brightwell Zooplanktos....

Had to sit there with a small turkey baster and simulate a small current and surprisingly.....all the heads started to extend. It took 15mins and I only manage to feed 5-6 heads, didn't dare risk the drop in temperature in the small bowl so I placed it back into the tank.

Does it get easier for you guys who have Sun corals?

Do I really need to 'bowl' feed them all the time? I ask because that mixture I used to feed it was enough for a 50 gallon tank......the bowl was 1 litre (0.25 gallon).....

When the heads open, feed them mysis or chopped up shrimp or fish in the tank. Do not use pellets. They are garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elo500
12/01/2016, 08:55 AM
I bought one that was struggling at the lfs. I keep it in my sump and container feed it frozen mysis once or twice a week. One time I forgot it in the container all night and it was fine. It looks much better than when I bought it.

Duncanr9t
12/01/2016, 05:01 PM
Okay, I'll stick with mysis.

Duncanr9t
12/01/2016, 05:02 PM
I bought one that was struggling at the lfs. I keep it in my sump and container feed it frozen mysis once or twice a week. One time I forgot it in the container all night and it was fine. It looks much better than when I bought it.

So each time you feed it, you have to transfer it to a container to avoid flooding your tank/sump with food?

Duncanr9t
12/01/2016, 05:04 PM
Fathead dendro would be slightly more feed friendly I guess

Elo500
12/01/2016, 05:30 PM
So each time you feed it, you have to transfer it to a container to avoid flooding your tank/sump with food?

Yes. I use a dropper to create a current and let the mysis flow around until he coral catches it. Usually over an hour. I walk by make a current. Come back 10 later. I'm sure I'm making harder than it needs to be.

stan80
12/01/2016, 09:41 PM
I feed mine once every day..shrimp, krill, freeze dried plankton, even soft clown fish food ive never had a problem with it I usually feed 5 -6 heads