PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish baby deaths at day 7

Lou Young
12/01/2016, 06:15 AM
About 1/3 of the batch died overnight. What would could clownfish baby deaths overnight from day 6 to day 7? I tested the water and it's not any different than usual at this stage. Ammonia was .5-1.0ppm. PH was 7.78. Salinity was 1.022. Temperature was 83.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

ajdiver
12/01/2016, 06:38 AM
Are you still feeding rotifers at day 7? Have you tried TDO A?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Lou Young
12/01/2016, 06:45 AM
Are you still feeding rotifers at day 7? Have you tried TDO A?

Yes I start feeding the TDO-A at day 5 while continuing to feed Rotifers.

ajdiver
12/01/2016, 08:18 AM
When do you start to do water changes? I start TDO on day 3 along with rotifers. I also start to clean the tanks on day 3 or 5. Whenever you see dead fry on the bottom of the tank suck them out. Also are your tanks blacked out?

Lou Young
12/01/2016, 08:52 AM
When do you start to do water changes? I start TDO on day 3 along with rotifers. I also start to clean the tanks on day 3 or 5. Whenever you see dead fry on the bottom of the tank suck them out. Also are your tanks blacked out?

I do stater the TDOA on day 3 too and first water change on day 4 or five. I have the bottom of tank white and have cardboard wrapped around the sides of the tank.

maxheadroom
12/02/2016, 05:34 PM
Try feeding NHB on day 3-4

carrots
12/03/2016, 04:42 AM
I had better luck after switching to daily water changes after day 4. Small ones around 10%.but sucking out waste on the bottom daily & replacing with DT water is helpful in keeping down ammonia spikes. Balancing the heavier feeding load and the waste from it is not easy. Good luck

CoralsAddiction
12/03/2016, 05:51 PM
I had better luck after switching to daily water changes after day 4. Small ones around 10%.but sucking out waste on the bottom daily & replacing with DT water is helpful in keeping down ammonia spikes. Balancing the heavier feeding load and the waste from it is not easy. Good luck

This is solid advice. I started water changes after 3 days or so and siphoned the tank bottom daily also.

Lou Young
12/04/2016, 11:57 PM

How come you used display tank water instead of new salt water?

hbrochs
12/12/2016, 09:06 AM
Sounds like water quality went bad.

Did you have an airstone in the tank? Temp was OK?

I would start my fry tank with like 3 gallons of water and every day drip in a gallon of fresh salt water, so its like doing a water change without taking water out. Then when the tank is full, I'd do a water change the regular way.

Good luck,

Howard