PDA

View Full Version : Fauna marin recipes?

dingodan87
12/01/2016, 12:20 PM
Looking to hear some fauna marin based recipes. Everything i see online is almost 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

dingodan87
12/02/2016, 08:18 AM
Nothing?

Martin Kuhn
12/02/2016, 08:37 AM
What exactly are you looking for ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

laga77
12/02/2016, 09:56 AM
FYI here is a list of ingredients taken from the Fauna Marin web page. Allium-extract ("Antiparasitica","flavours"), Solanaceae powder ("Beta Carotin"), Microalgae ("Astaxanthin", "Canthaxanthin", "Lutein", "Iodine", Spirulina)
Fischoil ("Thymus extract")
Yeast powder ("Beta Glucane") The first two ingredients are fancy words for garlic and belladonna. Two plants that grow on land and would never have been consumed by any coral in the wild, ever. The only things in there that would be of any use are EXTREMELY small amounts of Spirulina and yeast. So why use it?

dingodan87
12/02/2016, 11:29 AM
What exactly are you looking for ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
I guess its a pretty vauge question. I mean what fauna marin based concoctions/mixtures are people using to feed their nps corals. Seen several mixtures and methods used in the past by various nps keepers but nothing recent

dingodan87
12/02/2016, 11:31 AM
FYI here is a list of ingredients taken from the Fauna Marin web page. Allium-extract ("Antiparasitica","flavours"), Solanaceae powder ("Beta Carotin"), Microalgae ("Astaxanthin", "Canthaxanthin", "Lutein", "Iodine", Spirulina)
Yeast powder ("Beta Glucane") The first two ingredients are fancy words for garlic and belladonna. Two plants that grow on land and would never have been consumed by any coral in the wild, ever. The only things in there that would be of any use are EXTREMELY small amounts of Spirulina and yeast. So why use it?
Just because its not native to their habitat doesnt necessarily mean its no good. Alot of popular fish/coral food is freshwater shrimp

laga77
12/02/2016, 05:35 PM
Just because its not native to their habitat doesnt necessarily mean its no good.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk Yes it does. Try feeding freshwater fish to a Lionfish and see what happens over time. Freshwater fish contain up to 10 times the fat of marine fish. Mostly saturated fat. It would be like you deep frying a big mac and covering it with butter.
Just because marine animals can digest freshwater shrimp doesn't`t mean that it is the best food for them. We feed Mysis because it is the best alternative available because they contain high levels of HUFA. Shrimp from the ocean would be a better choice. Marine fish cannot digest terrestrial plant material. They eat algae. Some Parrot fish eat sea grass but that is not the norm. Plus the lipids found in terrestrial plants will damage the livers of marine fish. Cows can eat grain, but they are meant to eat grass. Thats one reason cows in feed lots get sick. They do not eat a healthy diet. Try some grass fed beef and you will see the difference. Just because your cat loves fish doesn't mean you should feed it to them. Cats evolved on the plains of Africa and Asia, there is a chemical found in all fish that will block the cats ability to absorb Thiamine. Which if fed a steady diet of fish will kill the cat. As far as coral go. They are simple animals who sit in one spot and catch whatever floats by. Processed garlic and nightshade with a bunch of preservatives is not on their menu. But hey, it`s your money.

dingodan87
12/02/2016, 07:26 PM
Alright well this is sort of off topic anyways.

dingodan87
12/02/2016, 07:27 PM
But just curious what do you feed

laga77
12/03/2016, 09:06 AM
Blender mush made from clams, oysters, shrimp, salmon, tuna, squid. Mysis, and live black worms and live white worms. For filter feeders it is mainly oyster feast and live bbs which I hatch and dose daily.

dingodan87
12/03/2016, 09:16 AM
Yea im wanting to come up with a good recipe to blend and pour into an ice cube tray to toss in a reactor i have plumbed into the supply line. I have a refridgerator doser for phyto and rotifeast but blended mixes i tried in the past always clogged the dosing pump

dingodan87
12/03/2016, 06:05 PM
I had a look at their site and those ingredients you pointed out are pretty strange but it's only one of their products. Others i read seemed to be more along the lines of what you'd want to see.