PDA

View Full Version : Jecod AK-60 LED

dartier
12/02/2016, 08:28 PM
Bought 2 of these to put in my sump on a reverse schedule for some softies. Wow, what a piece of crap. DO NOT BUY THIS LIGHT. Less than half the price of a Kessil and absolute junk. They tried to make it look like a Kessil, but the similarity ends there.

I would have been better to buy one of the black box chinese LEDs ...

Dennis

Ron Reefman
12/03/2016, 05:50 AM
What was wrong with it?

It is only 65 watts, so you didn't expect Kessil type light, did you?

Oh, and it's made by Jecod, huge surprise!

dartier
12/03/2016, 07:14 AM
It is basically a Hybrid LED that you can see all over ebay (Blue and White) put under a lense. Looks like 3 rows of blue LEDs with 1 row of white LEDs on each side of the blues.

The first thing I noticed is that the unit I was setting up had some foreign matter under the glass. It almost looked like pocket lint. When I angled it to the light, I could see that it was actually some residue on the inside of the glass cover. Not sure what it is. Kind of looked like salt stains, perhaps some adhesive splatter. Don't think the unit is a return, the outside of the light was new looking. The bracket that came with it was too narrow to fit on the rim of my Sepora sump. Screwing the gooseneck into the bracket took a lot of patience. The threads wanted to strip on the gooseneck. Looking closer, the fitting on the bracket, both in the clamp and the bracket on the light use an off the shelf nut. Not an industrial grade fastener selected for the task at hand, a plain zinc nut. Adjusting the position of the light once it is on the gooseneck requires a delicate touch. The bracket on the light is very flimsy and I almost ripped it off before I realized that it can't take any amount of force.

So no, I did not expect Kessil quality, but even for Jebao (Jecod) this light is pretty low quality. The Reefbreeder/Evergrow that you are partial to Ron, way better quality than this garbage.

Dennis

Ron Reefman
12/04/2016, 06:41 AM
Dennis, I hear you. Jebao drives me crazy! The wavemakers were shaky at the start, but they are WAY better now. Then the return pumps came out an they were pretty good right from the start and have only gotten better.

However, the Crossflow is a piece of junk. The impellers bind up and the motor can't spin them. Or the motor just flat quits (all 3 of mine did). I'm just glad Reef Breeders stands behind them and sent me new wet sides even though they don't sell Crossflows any more!

I think EverGrow is one Chinese company that sees the global market and knows that putting out cheap junk is bad for the company's reputation and sales. They make Reef Breeders, OceanRevive and Reef Radiance fixtures and all 3 do pretty well in the inexpensive quality game. I'd put my Photon V2 up against a Radion in terms of the light it produces anytime. And for me it was at 50% to 33% of what 2 or 3 Radions would have cost!

nate16
12/04/2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up!