PDA

View Full Version : Am I forgetting anything?

Fbrondum
12/02/2016, 09:09 PM
So my cycle has completed (according to my testing and backed up by LFS) and I have done my first 10% water change it's time to start adding live stock! It's a 55g with a 10 gal sump/refug that will eventually be a mixed reef. Going to hold off on corals until all live stock is placed and tank is balanced. For live stock I'm thinking:

2 snowflake clowns (probably added first and together)
1 Royal Gramma
1 Coral Beauty
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
Assorted snails

Does that seem like a decent bioload for the 55? Am I missing anything that would benefit the tank? I know about the reef caution on the coral beauty but this will be a fowlr for a few months before I start placing corals. Let me know what you think.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161203/5eda6aa12012b7e81a2acece090f0091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neiltus
12/02/2016, 09:40 PM
What is your QT/OT plan?

Fbrondum
12/02/2016, 09:50 PM
10 gal that will be set up and torn down as needed. With how fast this Live rock cycled (it came from a big established system) I have some rubble that is in the display and a lot of rubble in the fuge I can swap over. I also have a spare 150w heater. I liked the 300w with digital therm in the display. Might need to pick up an air pump and some tubing though. I'll need that w/o a powerhead right?

neiltus
12/03/2016, 09:28 AM
I have 4 fish in 2-10 gallon QT right now. I set up my recent tank in Aug, put live rock in on Aug 13th. First pair of fish are due out of QT at the end of this week-that marks 8 weeks for them, two rounds of Prazi, a Formalin Dip, TTM for about 16 days.

A lot of people move wayyyy too fast in this hobby.

I used the throw away sponge filters and ran one of those fluval .5 pumps on my QT, I did not use a powerhead. Seachem ammonia alert badge. I put the sponge in my sump to seed it prior to putting it in the QT. I moved some rubble from my DT to the QT, but that was done after meds, so the rubble can go back to the DT assuming there is not major outbreak or exposure to meds (still considering this or not). I use a wager 50w in the 10gallon.

If I had that 55, I would intro maybe some shrimp, a small frag or two, and maybe 3-4 snails and a fighting conch. I really can't determine the maturity of your rock in the photo with your blues up.

After that I would proceed with a QT of your liking with a pair of fish that would do well in the QT together. A nice passive pair. Use a 5 gallon bucket in addition to your 10 gallon tank for TTM (read up on it), get them feeding a couple times a day. Observe poop. Consider formalin and prazi.

While there in QT you can tweak stuff on your tank. Just take your time. Read the sickness and QT forum a LOT.

There are about a dozen threads on this forum a day where someone put 5/6 fish all at once into an immature tank, then it blows up with sickness or some algae problem and they have no means/plans to accommodate fixing it. They usually cite stuff like "looked great at the store" or "the LFS said I could".

Anyway, what I am getting at....enjoy the hobby, learn, make very informed decisions and move slowly. Spending more time learning and less doing will make your doing portion that more doing and less guessing and hoping.

I am considering a clown pair. Or I should say I was. If I do a pair of clowns it will be the last pair through QT.

Fbrondum
12/03/2016, 09:37 AM
Sounds great I'll definitely read more on the qt process and I agree on moving to fast. It's hard but I'm trying to take my time and do it right. I plan on introducing livestock slow anyway so the this process only sounds beneficial. Thanks!