PDA

View Full Version : In sump gurgling

iLLwiLL
12/03/2016, 08:30 AM
I have an old oceanic tech 70 setup as a seahorse macro tank in my bedroom and its LOUD. The tank has the center internal overflow and the sump i have has its drain inlet directly below the drain bulkhead of the tank.

Space is kinda tight down below and I'd like to keep the sump i have now. I made a reverse stockman stand pipe and that helped but its still pretty noisey at the sump.

I drilled a bunch of holes in the pvc pipe that goes from the sump inlet to the water line (inside the filtersock) to try and vent some air but after that i am out of ideas.

Any ideas on how to quiet this down?

bhbell
12/03/2016, 09:00 AM
Which end is generating the noise, inlet or Outlet?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

iLLwiLL
12/03/2016, 10:42 AM
The outlet. Sounds like a hot tub or a boiling pot of water where the drain meets the sump

GimpyFin
12/03/2016, 11:34 AM
Is your drain outlet below the waterline in the sump?

ericarenee
12/03/2016, 01:31 PM
I think the issue is air is getting trapped inside the drain prob in a elbow or bend somewhere between the tank and sump..

The things you can try.

PUSH a piece of flexible tubing 3/8 size up into the drain until you hit that air pocket and have the other end above the water level in your sump.

Try cutting the end of the Drain at a angle so that its partly out of the water.. this will let the air escape instead of being forced into the sump .

Try putting a elbow on the end of the drain in the sump to where half of the elbow opening is out of the water...

You may also need to slow down your pump pushing water into the display tank to allow less water thru the overflow box.. you can do this with a ball valve on the Pump output..
its kinda a trial and error thing to get them quiet..

The above is guessing from experience of most common resolutions to water/air noise without seeing your plumbing ..

Hope this helps
Erica Renee

iLLwiLL
12/03/2016, 04:10 PM
There arent any bends in the drain plumbing, its a straight vertical shot down to the sump. The end of the drain has a 90 and a bunch of holes drilled in it to relieve any back pressure. Its hard to tell if its underwater but if it is its not much.

Ive seen some other setups where they used a T and a 90 to add something that looks like a snorkel with a drilled end cap. Would that do anything for me?

billdogg
12/04/2016, 05:29 PM
I use a PVC T fitting in the drain line positioned so that the "leg" of the T is just above the water line. That allows the air to vent out easily

BlueRoofTang
12/04/2016, 09:14 PM
I also often get some filter media and let it float on top of the sump. It will make it quieter as the bubbles come out. It also helps keep the little bubbles from popping so much and getting salt everywhere.

iLLwiLL
12/04/2016, 09:54 PM
I doubled the size of the holes i drilled in the pipe that goes from the sumps bulkhead to the filter sock and that seemed to quiet it down some. Still getting some noise but its probably as good as ill get it while having the drain being a straight shot down.

Ill either wind up making a better bigger stand so i can offset the drain bulkhead or get a new sump sooner or later. Thanks for all the help!