PDA

View Full Version : Netting Sixline Wrasse

new2salttanks
12/04/2016, 09:41 AM
I've got a small sixline wrasse in my 32gallon biocube. He has been terrorizing all of my clowns. In fact last night he killed my clown fish after harassing him so much. I want to take him to the LFS (I've already talked to them about the bad apple and they are willing to take him) however he's always hiding in the rocks. I don't want to stress my other fish out even more on top of the wrasse harass. What is the best way I can net him in order to take him to the LFS?

slief
12/04/2016, 09:47 AM
I've got a small sixline wrasse in my 32gallon biocube. He has been terrorizing all of my clowns. In fact last night he killed my clown fish after harassing him so much. I want to take him to the LFS (I've already talked to them about the bad apple and they are willing to take him) however he's always hiding in the rocks. I don't want to stress my other fish out even more on top of the wrasse harass. What is the best way I can net him in order to take him to the LFS?

You would have to do it at night when he sleeps but wrasses are tough to net. On the other hand, they are usually easy to trap. Get a fish trap and attach a mirror to the back of it. I've used scotch tape to attach mirrors as well as silicone. I cheap make up mirror from the beauty store or drug store will work. Once the wrasses sees himself in the mirror, he should go into the trap and try to attack himself. Then you drop the door on it. What I would do is leave the trap in the tank for a couple days with the door open and no mirror so the fish get used to it. Then add the mirror. If you need to, add some food to the trap with the door closed. The fish will smell the food and try to get into the trap. Then when the wrasse is nearby, open the door enough for it to go in. I can catch any fish in my 500 gallon display in a matter of minutes with this method. It works like a charm.

saf1
12/04/2016, 10:12 AM
Fish trap worked for me. Several ways to make them but that is what I ended up doing to end his reign of terror in my 100 gallon years ago. Nice fish but they have a mean streak. If I was to add one ever again, and I'm not, it would be the last fish even if then.

journeyman
12/04/2016, 12:00 PM
Take a small water bottle. Cut off the top and invert it. Put some food inside and put it in your tank standing upright. Do this when there fish are just walking up. I turned on the lights a little early when I did it. Wait for the wrasse to go if for the first. Then when you reach down for bottle the fish will swim down away from your hand further into the trap.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

new2salttanks
12/04/2016, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys! We got a trap early today and was able to trick him with some live brine. He's been terrorizing my tank so I'm happy to have him out. The LFS was able to trade NO PROBLEM. You guys are awesome thanks!

Buzz1329
12/04/2016, 08:23 PM
You would have to do it at night when he sleeps but wrasses are tough to net. On the other hand, they are usually easy to trap. Get a fish trap and attach a mirror to the back of it. I've used scotch tape to attach mirrors as well as silicone. I cheap make up mirror from the beauty store or drug store will work. Once the wrasses sees himself in the mirror, he should go into the trap and try to attack himself. Then you drop the door on it. What I would do is leave the trap in the tank for a couple days with the door open and no mirror so the fish get used to it. Then add the mirror. If you need to, add some food to the trap with the door closed. The fish will smell the food and try to get into the trap. Then when the wrasse is nearby, open the door enough for it to go in. I can catch any fish in my 500 gallon display in a matter of minutes with this method. It works like a charm.

Good to know. Thanks.

tanksfishtank
12/04/2016, 08:27 PM
I have used fish traps successfully many times. They are kind of pricey to buy, but our local groups have reefers who will loan you one.