PDA

View Full Version : Steel vs Wood stands for tanks over 300 gallongs?

nightOwl
12/04/2016, 06:11 PM
I will getting back into the game of big tanks soon and wanted to get some opinions on on whether to go with a steel or wood stand for a tank over 300 gallons. Rough dimensions would be 82" L x 40" W x 26" H. If I go with wood what size would I need to support the tank at a minimum.

I was thinking I could use 4x4 to build the stand but would I need larger?
For steel would 2.5 square tube enough?

Thanks

sick1166
12/04/2016, 08:07 PM
You'll get a lot of different opinions I have had many tanks a lot bigger than that using 2x4 I'm in south fla and we buid a lot of houses two and three stories on that size wood
Just a thought

tanksfishtank
12/04/2016, 08:22 PM
I have a 300 gal and built it out of 2x4 and primed/painted for protection.

DasCamel
12/04/2016, 08:41 PM
I have a 300 gal and built it out of 2x4 and primed/painted for protection.

+1

Either will work of designed corrected. I just went to town on mine using kilz original primer before painting. Very confident it will last longer than I'll ever need.

dave.m
12/05/2016, 02:38 AM
Two 2x4s glued and screwed together are stronger than a 4x4. Any time you laminate pieces of wood together the whole is stronger than the parts. Plus the grains of two pieces of wood can be used against each other to counter any warping that one piece of wood on its own might experience.

Dave.M

worm5406
12/05/2016, 07:45 AM
There was an online calculator that showed you all the wood needed. I thought it was on here.

+1 on the 2x4 over 4x4 usage. Also using Marine Plywood glued together like a LAM header works better too.

nightOwl
12/08/2016, 01:30 PM
Sorry for the delay...Thanks for the input everyone. For those that responded can you post pictures of your stand. I am interested in how you did your supports. I plan on having a stand over 82" long and over 40" wide. The thing is I still need access under the stand for my sump and various other equipment. I am worried about having a re-moveable section of support. Any pictures would be very helpful.

nightOwl
12/08/2016, 01:31 PM
Oh Larry I think I have seen that stand calculator you mentioned on here somewhere also.

This is the only thing I can not figure out if I went with wood. I want this walk board for my next stand since I do not plan on any front tank access.

Steel Stand with Walkboard (http://www.melevsreef.com/tanks/steel-stand-walkboard)

dave.m
12/08/2016, 02:49 PM
I do not plan on any front tank access.
In the same article Melev stresses the importance of all-around access, walkway or not.

If you think walking the plank will help you should be able to manage this without too much dependence on the tank stand, but rather build it with its own bracing so that you could stand on it when required but pull it away from the stand if additional access was needed.

Dave.M