PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with plenty of questions

Twoblacklabs
12/05/2016, 11:05 AM
Hello everyone, my wife and I are looking at starting out into the world or reefing! We are currently gathering as much information as we can. We are thinking of starting with a 72-120 gallon tank. Of course we have tons of questions but here are just a few.
If we start off just with live rock and fish, will we require a sump? skimmer?
Long term we will be adding corals so is it best to just do it right off the bat?
Any other do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated!.
i look forward to hearing back from you all.
:dance:

lespaul339
12/05/2016, 11:09 AM
You can get by with going sumpless. My first tank didn't have a sump. The only problem with that is then all of your equipment is in your display. It's nice to have all that out of the way and underneath. Not only for the convenience of doing maintenance, but also for the look of your display tank. They do make hang on back skimmers that you could also put your tank heater in to keep that out of your display. I did that on my first build. You wouldnt necessarily need a skimmer right away, but they do help with removing organic waste, and oxygenate your water, so in my opinion it does make it easier when starting a new tank to use a skimmer off the bat. But there are plenty of people that run skimmerless tanks. But it will require more frequent water changes.

My advice is do plenty of research, ask plenty of questions, and don't try to cut corners. It's an expensive hobby, but if you do it right the first time around it will save you more money in the long run. Good luck!

Elricsfate
12/05/2016, 11:21 AM
I will recommend what I have recommended elsewhere. Go to Youtube, get yourself a drink and a snack, and watch every episode of "52 Weeks of Reefing" by BRStv (Bulk Reef Supply).

They will explain what is being done, why it's being done, the pro's and con's of different methods, products, etc. You will walk away with a lot of information, a better understanding of how to do what you want to do, and more specific questions to ask on these forums. Which I also highly recommend.

As far as your specific question, this is my humble opinion. Plan for everything you *might* do, before you do anything. Imagine if you will that you have a fully set up, mature, fish filled aquarium and THEN you decide you'd like to get into corals, want to drill your tank and install a sump, etc... How much easier would it be to just buy a reef ready tank, or drill the one you have, while it's dry and nothing is in it?

My two cents.

rjjr1963
12/05/2016, 11:24 AM
I would start out with something smaller. My first tank was a 40 breeder and I learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. The initial cost is lower and if you're smart some of the equipment can be used on a bigger tank down the road. The only filtration I had was a HOB filter and it did a great job. I have all kinds of corals and most are doing very well. My biggest mistake was buying a 180 gallon tank when I set up the 40. Now I've realized that's not the big tank that will work best for me. Once you learn to manage and operate a smaller tank you'll be ready to step up. What you think you want right now will probably change 10 times in a year. It did for me.

Twoblacklabs
12/05/2016, 11:54 AM
Funny you mention that, I am on week 22...

Elricsfate
12/05/2016, 12:00 PM
Funny you mention that, I am on week 22...

LOL Then you are on the right track!

Elricsfate
12/05/2016, 12:01 PM
My biggest mistake was buying a 180 gallon tank when I set up the 40. Now I've realized that's not the big tank that will work best for me.

I'm curious why the 180 isn't the big tank that will work for you. I have a 180 myself, so I'm just wondering.

panhandler01
12/05/2016, 02:35 PM
I will recommend what I have recommended elsewhere. Go to Youtube, get yourself a drink and a snack, and watch every episode of "52 Weeks of Reefing" by BRStv (Bulk Reef Supply).

They will explain what is being done, why it's being done, the pro's and con's of different methods, products, etc. You will walk away with a lot of information, a better understanding of how to do what you want to do, and more specific questions to ask on these forums. Which I also highly recommend.

As far as your specific question, this is my humble opinion. Plan for everything you *might* do, before you do anything. Imagine if you will that you have a fully set up, mature, fish filled aquarium and THEN you decide you'd like to get into corals, want to drill your tank and install a sump, etc... How much easier would it be to just buy a reef ready tank, or drill the one you have, while it's dry and nothing is in it?

My two cents.

+1 on the above post. Those videos are very well done and very informative.

Tanthaitrung
12/05/2016, 06:54 PM
Welcome to RC

- Read, read and read more

- Do not do anything before asking

- Be patient

Twoblacklabs
12/06/2016, 12:38 PM
thanks for all the info. Based on my budget and level of knowledge I think I will start off with a 75 gallon tank and get a sump.
I am taking plenty of notes and created a spreadsheet of what is needed and the costs.
Here is what I have so far.

75 gallon tank
Sump- Eshopps RS-100 Reef Sump
Heater- Eheim Jaget 300W
Lights- Aquatic Life EDGE LED 48"
Rock - Marco Dry (10lbs)
Powerheads- Hydor Koralia Evo. 1150 times 2
Sand - CaribSea Arag
Salt Mix - Instant Ocean

Any comments so far?

crawlerman
12/06/2016, 03:31 PM
If you start fish only, it won't be long before you are wanting to add corals. Very addictive hobby that can escalate a lot faster than you think. I would get the sump and skimmer up front. I would also go as big as you can from the start. Bigger reefs are more stable. If your budget is tight I would consider used equipment from the for sale section on here. I'd rather have used high quality equipment than used cheap equipment.

Walla2GSP
12/06/2016, 03:49 PM
If you start fish only, it won't be long before you are wanting to add corals.... I would get the sump and skimmer up front. I would also go as big as you can from the start. Bigger reefs are more stable...

+1, also you are at the most critical stage for a reef system, RESEARCH. I would recommend you draw out a "blueprint" of your tank, with what animals, how much room you have, what equipment you need, and not purchase anything until your blueprint is complete. As already mentioned, you will change your mind over time, but starting out with a solid plan based on the the animals you want to keep and your budget will help avoid some of these secondary purchases down the road. Keep watching 52 weeks.