PDA

View Full Version : Truly Ich free.... ?'s

geckoejon
12/05/2016, 07:55 PM
Hello,

I have a 220g display that I am putting through a 12 wk hypo salinity for ich... I put the non fish livestock into qt for the 12 weeks... This should kill all the ich currently in the system.... This is the second time I'm doing this. I picked up ich again, and think it might have come in with a crab, snail, or nem.

My question is how to keep it ich free??? What about...

- inverts??? Snails, crabs, nems? Would I just have to qt each without fish for 12 weeks?

- coral??? Will dips kill ich? Any studies on it?

- pods? Any sources that would be ich free?

- chaeto?

It seems like the only way to keep the tank absolutely ich free would be to treat every fish of course, and then qt everything new for 12 weeks...

Sa6hir
12/05/2016, 08:07 PM
First if you have ich removing live stock from display tank and leaving it empty without hypo will rid ich within 8 weeks. place live stock in quarantine & treat with copper! Inverts, snails, crabs shrimps can be left in display tank along with corals while cycling! When you purchase new live stock quarantine all first even if you are told it's been in quarantine! I've never had problems with adding corals/inverts and bring ich into my system! Ich lives/feeds off fish and only falls off during a cycle then looks for live stock to attach its self to feed on! I normally give corals a good rinse with salt water then place them in my tank! Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sa6hir
12/05/2016, 10:09 PM
By the way do not hypo the display tank! It will kill everything! And you will ruin everything! You have stated "I have a 220g display that I am putting through a 12 wk hypo salinity for ich". Sorry if I'm reading it wrong...

Yolly416
12/05/2016, 10:20 PM
Honestly I got rid of Ich I unfroze mysis shrimp full packet add 20 garlic drops and took ginger took a cheese grater took the ginger grated it then took everything and grinded together then frozen it all again into cubes then fed it for a week left the fish in the main display tank a week later ich free now for about 8 months

geckoejon
12/05/2016, 10:35 PM
Please keep responses limited to the questions I asked concerning ich...

Coral?

Inverts?

Pods?

Chaeto?

ca1ore
12/05/2016, 10:47 PM
If you want a tank approaching 100% ich free then you will have to QT everything wet, and prophylactically treat all fish. You will also have to ensure that no tools are commonly used between the QT and the DT. I will tell you that in almost 30 years of reefing, I have not definitively linked ich to inverts, pods or algae; but it's clearly possible.

homer1475
12/06/2016, 04:38 AM
Hello,

I have a 220g display that I am putting through a 12 wk hypo salinity for ich... I put the non fish livestock into qt for the 12 weeks... This should kill all the ich currently in the system.... This is the second time I'm doing this. I picked up ich again, and think it might have come in with a crab, snail, or nem.

- inverts??? Snails, crabs, nems? Would I just have to qt each without fish for 12 weeks?

- chaeto?

It seems like the only way to keep the tank absolutely ich free would be to treat every fish of course, and then qt everything new for 12 weeks...

Coral?

Inverts?

Pods?

Chaeto?

Since you don't want an answer pertaining to your methods, I won't tell you that hypo in the display is pointless, and your going to kill all your inverts if you do hypo the DT.

You also might want to look up TTM for your fish and skip hypo. Hypo is so sensitive that unless you keep the SG exactly at 1.008 and not a point higher, or your not doing a damn thing.

But since you only want to know about other things, Lets just skip over what was just said and refer to the next post I quoted.

If you want a tank approaching 100% ich free then you will have to QT everything wet, and prophylactically treat all fish. You will also have to ensure that no tools are commonly used between the QT and the DT. I will tell you that in almost 30 years of reefing, I have not definitively linked ich to inverts, pods or algae; but it's clearly possible.

Theres your answer.

geckoejon
12/06/2016, 07:46 AM
Simon / ca1ore, thanks... That's what I figured. I was kind of hoping that some more research would have been done. It's easy enough to get rid of ich. The lengthy qt process for all new additions is a pain. I was hoping someone had proven methods for ridding inverts, coral, and ect... Without the qt process... Maybe someone else will chime in?

Sa, yolley, & homer, I asked very specific reasons in the advanced forum for a reason... I have read pages and pages and pages about proven methods for ich eradification. I am looking for specific info for keeping ich free after the eradification.... How about showing some respect? If you don't have valid input about the questions asked, then please refrain from wasting comments on this page....

ca1ore
12/06/2016, 08:31 AM
Simon / ca1ore, thanks... That's what I figured. I was kind of hoping that some more research would have been done. It's easy enough to get rid of ich. The lengthy qt process for all new additions is a pain. I was hoping someone had proven methods for ridding inverts, coral, and ect... Without the qt process... Maybe someone else will chime in?

The reality is that it is difficult to have a 100% ich-free tank. Mine is not. I obsessively QT all fish, but I don't treat prophylactically and I don't QT inverts (though I do dip corals). I am unaware of any other 'proven methods', and even QT is not 100% - though done right, it can be pretty close. How ich 'snuck' into my tank I cannot say. Probably because the original fish came from a craigslist purchase and looked perfectly healthy, so I didn't QT them - my bad! Or maybe it came in on an invert; it's certainly possible.

Since I'm not going to fallow my tank, and I've had the ich now for over 3 years, me and my fish just live with it.

sde1500
12/06/2016, 09:29 AM
QT any and everything that goes into the tank for a full 72+ days to possibly assure eradication. I can't be bothered to do that to every snail, shrimp, coral etc.

I know ich seems to be the most common problem in tanks, but it also seems to be far from the worst. I think I'd rather live with ich in the tank than deal with QT everything for so long, just my opinion for now, may change who knows.

laga77
12/06/2016, 09:31 AM
The reality is that it is difficult to have a 100% ich-free tank. Mine is not.

Agreed. Technically , all of my 6 tanks are not ich free but I haven`t lost a fish to parasites in 5 years, as of next month. Even the people who preach about strong QT methods will not claim that QT is 100%. I have found that high water quality, good nutrition, and good husbandry works better than super QT. I am not saying you shouldn't`t QT. I do, but not to the extent that some do. Where some people will QT a Powder Blue Tang for 6 weeks, mine was 5 days. This was 9 months ago. The last fish I put into my 120G FOWLR in Aug was a Golden Hawkfish which was over $200, had no QT. I feel the stress of QT is counter productive and not worth the risk. I was confident that the other fish in the tank were healthy enough to handle the new addition. Bottom line is that if it is not 100% possible to keep ich out , why try so hard? Better to go with the natural alternative.

ca1ore
12/06/2016, 12:17 PM
I don't feel that QT is stressful; certainly not as much as putting a new fish into a Display with an established population. I do extended QT because there are far worse things than ich that I'd really like to keep out. Different strokes though .....

sde1500
12/06/2016, 01:21 PM
I don't feel that QT is stressful; certainly not as much as putting a new fish into a Display with an established population. I do extended QT because there are far worse things than ich that I'd really like to keep out. Different strokes though .....

This is my feeling. I actually have tried, and don't like TTM. Don't care what it does to the fish, it stresses me out. They hide, looking very unhappy, then just as they seem to be coming out Im moving them to a new tank, and repeat. Going to try a cycled longer term QT this time, and medicate instead of TTM. Ich is certainly the least of my concerns with fish compared to the other things they can bring it.

Zalick
12/06/2016, 04:39 PM

- chaeto?

From everything I've read its not very practical to have a guaranteed method to be ich free. I've not heard of any reef safe medication. If you start out with an ich free fallow tank, you would need to do the tank transfer method for EVERYTHING. And even that would not guarantee ich free because some water and free swiming ich might go with the transfer.

I've never read of a way to guarantee to rid ich from a DT without taking out all the fish and doing the TTM on them while the tank lay fallow. Even then its not a guarantee.

The sum of everything I have read is that proper QT, not necessarily TTM, and maintaining good water quality and husbandry is the best defense. Fish can have ich and you'd never know it because their immune system suppresses it. I had a very minor ich outbreak in one fish a few years ago. It went away and has not reared its head again.

rjjr1963
12/20/2016, 08:26 PM

Coral?

Inverts?

Pods?

Chaeto?

I believe Ich came in on a frag I purchased. My four fish had been living ich free in the DT for nine months. No new additions. I bought a large plating coral and an acropora eating crab came along for the ride. Within the next seven days my wrasse was showing white spots. They fell off and a couple days later more spots returned. Since those have fallen off there have been no other symptoms. That was about a month ago.

geckoejon
12/20/2016, 08:34 PM
I believe it... I am treating all new fish additions for a month in copper and going to qt all new inverts and coral for 12 weeks in a fish free tank...