PDA

View Full Version : Kyle's NanoCube 24

kowen
12/05/2016, 08:30 PM
Hey everyone,

My old boss gave me this tank about a year and a half ago. I've just recently moved it from a forgotten corner of the house to somewhere I can appreciate it, and started taking better care of it.

Here's what I have:

Percula (I think) clown, which is the lone fish survivor from when I first got the tank. It's been in the tank about 2 1/2 years now. A second clown and two blue/green chromis died about a year ago.
Brittle star
Sea cucumber
Azure Damsel acquired in March
Peppermint shrimp acquired in March
Royal gramma basslet acquired last week
Purple firefish acquired last week

I'd like to make some improvements to the tank, but don't want to spend a ton of money, and want to avoid equip in the display of HOB. Currently, there's a sponge and a bunch of bio balls in the first compartment, another sponge and a bag of carbon in the second, and the heater and pump in the third. What do you suggest? MarinePure blocks? Nano skimmer?

kowen
12/12/2016, 11:54 AM
45 views, 7 days, and nobody has any input? Help a noob out!

kowen
12/17/2016, 08:49 PM
bump

Crusinjimbo
12/29/2016, 06:53 AM
There are lots of options for that type of tank. The least complicated is to just change a gallon or two of fresh bad balanced sal water every day or three. Slightly above that in terms of toil and cost investment is an algae turf scrubber system without a skimmer. And, of course, the money pit option that is costly and difficult to set up and manage on a small tank. I evacuated my tank to a 10G "motel" until I decided what to do next in June. Survivors included two fat clowns, a few hundred zoas and a couple LPS small pieces. No filtration other than changing 1 gallon of water per day. Took a few weeks to put together a simple scrubber and that is how it has been running ever since. No skimmer or mechanical filtration other than a DIY $75 scrubber. NO3 and PO4 are always <1ppm and 4ppb respectively and I feed a cube and a few pinches daily. It can be done. Check out the Advanved section for many excellent ideas that are experienced based. Good luck!!