PDA

View Full Version : Overflows draining power off

Triggerfish
12/07/2016, 12:45 PM
Overflows are draining empty into sump. Checking power failure water level for new tank setup. This didn't happen with last couple tanks.
Not sure why the seal is not tight enough where the piping sits. Its jammed against corner maybe its on a slight angle allowing water to trickle down?

JMorris271
12/11/2016, 12:22 AM
The easy fix is to take the bulkhead so out and put new ones in . Take the guess work out of it.

seabass
12/11/2016, 06:59 AM
Since the plumbing isn't leaking externally, I assume the bulkheads are fine. I also assume that the water is draining from your drain and not your return pump. If so, there must be a leak between the bulkheads and the stand pipes.

I'm guessing that you use slip connection bulkhead fittings, which are not permanently cemented in place. If so, check the end of the stand pipes for defects, then rotate them slightly while re-inserting them into the bulkheads. Hopefully this will provide a good enough seal to prevent them from draining. If not, I'd replace the slip bulkheads with threaded ones (which should solve your problem). Of course you could always cement the slip connections, but that will make cleaning your overflows more difficult.

thegrun
12/11/2016, 09:35 AM
...or wrap the stand pipes with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape.

ericarenee
12/11/2016, 09:41 AM
...or wrap the stand pipes with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape.

+this

JMorris271
12/12/2016, 09:58 AM
Non setting thread sealer by Oaties works too. It allows you to pullout the pipe when needed. You don't need to be concerned with anything rolling over when inserted or removed. I've used this before

JMorris271
12/12/2016, 10:09 AM
Teflon Dope

SycoCell
12/12/2016, 11:55 AM
Does wrapping slip connections with teflon work? I've only done that with threaded fittings. I was considering this. I know I have a slight leak where the 1" pipe comes out of my bulkhead into my tank and connects to the 1" siphon. I was able to mitigate it for now, but was considering what I'd do next.