PDA

View Full Version : LED Comparison Spreadsheet

UBOMW
12/08/2016, 11:30 AM
Does a spreadsheet exist that does side by side comparisons of various LED systems?

Is that something that folks would be interested in?

Ron Reefman
12/09/2016, 05:40 AM
I don't believe such a thing exists. But just what would you be comparing? Features, specs, actual light produced, cost?

IMHO there are too many variables and too many levels of features and costs. How can you compare a MarAqua 2 channel with manual dimmers fixture with a Pacific Sun hybrid with fancy controls for multiple channels? Maybe several different charts comparing similar levels of cost and features, but where does all the date come from?

Vinny Kreyling
12/09/2016, 08:54 AM
IF I was to look for something along these lines I would see if there is anything from Sanjay.
He has done some work with various LED'S & posts his results.
There is no "full list" of available fixtures.

UBOMW
12/09/2016, 09:49 AM
Ron, I think you have a very valid point; there is a lot of variation between what is a available. But I think you could start with the "basics" and develop from there. Things like: watts (total and per LED), programmable (yes/no, etc), lens (90, 120 degree, etc), quotes PAR values at 18'', 24'' ,30'', etc, cost.

I don't know if it is possible here to post a shareable spreadsheet that all users could add information, etc?

Vinny - thanks, I'll do some reading.

gus6464
12/09/2016, 02:28 PM
BRS has done testing on the spread and PAR of the most popular fixtures out there. You can start there. At the end of the day that's really what matters.

Vinny Kreyling
12/09/2016, 04:32 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review
Here is one done by Sanjay.

UBOMW
12/09/2016, 04:43 PM
OK, I took a first stab at it. Comments and suggestions welcome.

UBOMW
12/09/2016, 04:44 PM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review
Here is one done by Sanjay.

Awesome, thanks.

ReefCowboy
12/09/2016, 09:32 PM
If one takes the time to gather every unit's par testing, cost, etc..and throws it on a table,it would actually be very helpful to many hobbyists. Just look at how many daily threads about LEDs from people wanting comparissons between them before making a purchase.

The main ones will have specs listed somewhere

Ron Reefman
12/10/2016, 04:58 PM
Awesome, thanks.

That's a good start. BTW, how are you getting the "stated power" number? I don't think Mars Aqua is 165 watts. They do run 55 leds that are rated for 3 watts each which is 165 watts. But the drivers they use are only 103 watts which is just 1.9w per led. I only bring this up because almost everybody else using 3 watt leds is driving then with 120 watt driver so 2.2w per led. It's not a huge difference, but it's more than 13% less powerful.

So do you plan to work on adding more fixtures to your spreadsheet? Or was that just as an example?