PDA

View Full Version : Sump in Basement with Laundry Room and Water heater

drew930
12/10/2016, 04:56 PM
I need some opinions and advice, maybe from personal experience on this. I have been planning a build for awhile now, with just a few things to decide on.... then it hit me.

I was planning on putting the sump and water station downstairs in unfinished basement. The utility sink and floor drain next to it are perfect. But it would go within 10 feet of the laundry and gas water heater. There's no walls between them ... it's all unfinished.

Is there harm in this ? I'm thinking an burnoff from hot water heater and the smell and fumes of the laundry might be a bad idea. "I believe" I'm getting a sump with lids but it's not going to be entirely covered.

Little bummed out right now, but lay it on me if this is a bad idea!

Thanks

ca1ore
12/10/2016, 05:52 PM
I've had my sump in with the wh, furnace, laundry, etc. never seems to make much difference. You may want to think about either a dehumidifier or better circulation during humid months so you don't rust anything.

SaintAndrews
12/10/2016, 05:52 PM
I need some opinions and advice, maybe from personal experience on this. I have been planning a build for awhile now, with just a few things to decide on.... then it hit me.

I was planning on putting the sump and water station downstairs in unfinished basement. The utility sink and floor drain next to it are perfect. But it would go within 10 feet of the laundry and gas water heater. There's no walls between them ... it's all unfinished.

Is there harm in this ? I'm thinking an burnoff from hot water heater and the smell and fumes of the laundry might be a bad idea. "I believe" I'm getting a sump with lids but it's not going to be entirely covered.

Little bummed out right now, but lay it on me if this is a bad idea!

Thanks
I don't see a problem with having it in there. My sump system is in my garage right next to where my wife parks.

Be careful nothing gets into the water system obviously but I don't think fumes from the water heater or washing machine and dryer are anything to worry about.

If you really want to be sure set up a bucket of clean saltwater or small tank with a power head running in there for a week or 2 and then test it to see if anything changes in the water.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jason2459
12/10/2016, 08:25 PM
I've had my sump in with the wh, furnace, laundry, etc. never seems to make much difference. You may want to think about either a dehumidifier or better circulation during humid months so you don't rust anything.
Same here.

I have two dehumidifiers in the basement. One on each end of it. Both 70 pints

Cujo
12/10/2016, 10:34 PM
I had my sump for a 120G in the basement right next to the water heater, furnace, and laundry with no issues.

PatW
12/11/2016, 11:08 AM
The only problem I can see with gas appliances would be possible elevated CO2 levels resulting in ph problems. I suppose you could rig up a vent fan to operate whilst the appliances are going. You could also rig up an airline from outside to hook up to the skimmer and that should work no matter how high the CO2 gets. Basement sumps are nice because you can add on as your heart desires adding a refugium and various reactors. Also not being stuck in a cabinet under your tank means easy access.

drew930
12/11/2016, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Definetly eases my mind a little. Doing things different this time. First basement sump, first quarantine, and maybe first fuge. So glad to know it shouldn't be a problem.

thegrun
12/11/2016, 06:15 PM
I would also advise keeping a close eye on your pH. Run an air line from outside to your skimmer and it will be very unlikely that you will have any problems.

drew930
12/11/2016, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry to ask.... really don't know much about skimmers and ph....

Why does an airline benefit this situation ?

Jone
12/11/2016, 07:39 PM
be careful of strong laundry soaps / dryer sheets being used that get airborne and sucked into your skimmers fresh air port...
I have the same situation and had problems til changing to a non fragrant laundry soap and dryer sheets..

smatter
12/11/2016, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry to ask.... really don't know much about skimmers and ph....

Why does an airline benefit this situation ? CO2 levels may be higher in an enclosed space, having a lowering effect on your pH. Running the air intake from your skimmer to draw from outdoors can help mitigate that effect.

ericarenee
12/11/2016, 08:22 PM
I would also advise keeping a close eye on your pH. Run an air line from outside to your skimmer and it will be very unlikely that you will have any problems.

I do this and it does help

My sump is in my basement next to my gas furnace actually.. but it is a big open area I have no issues .

drew930
12/11/2016, 08:44 PM
So the airline running outside can actually keep the pH level up in the tank? Or does it just help the skimmer run better ? Lol sorry I know it's probably a frustrating question if you already know the answer!

How does air from outside keep pH level up when the sump is still exposed to the air in the basement ? Is this because the air in basement doesn't get sucked into the water as much as the air from the skimmer, since it's hovering and instead of getting drawn in? And running it outside keeps most of the air entering the water clean.

thegrun
12/11/2016, 09:50 PM
The air outside your home usually has less CO2 than the air inside your house, particularly in your basement with a furnace which will consume oxygen and increase the CO2. Running the air intake line to the skimmer from outside will decrease the CO2 introduced into your tank and thus increase the pH.

drew930
12/11/2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the clarification !

bill120reef
12/12/2016, 09:46 AM
i put FRP (fiberglass panels) on the walls and ceilings in my cellar sump fuge area to keep it cleaner and protect against any splashes, I also covered any exposed pipes in pine insulation foam to keep condensate from collecting or dripping. above the tank I installed a bathroom vent to the outside. The vents will corrode over time but keep the humidity way down.