PDA

View Full Version : How to handle parameter changes in large tanks

cprice
12/10/2016, 08:12 PM
I have a system with almost 300g total water volume. I recently had a calcium reactor clog and when it re-opened it shot my dkh up to 12.6

I like to run my alk no higher than 8.5 and want to bring it back down. How do you guys handle large parameter changes when water volume is bigger than the average tank. I can't see myself doing large water changes to bring it down (200g+ over 3 days) and I'm not a fan of adding "buffer" chemicals to the tank as I feel it adds unnecessary things to the water.

Can anyone recommend alternatives? I feel like if I was to just turn off the CaRx for a few days my calcium would begin to drop as well and then I would have to buffer that back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worm5406
12/10/2016, 08:31 PM
That is a large jump. It will come down. You know your own dosing regiment and how quick it gets depleted.

About the CaRx, mine is not up and running, but I would just shut off or cut in half the CO2 and leave it running to keep the water fresh. Restarting CO2 is quick and simple at least.

It, dkh, should go down about half a point daily, of course depending on your tank. Water changes will reduce it. I have heard adding harsh items (muratic acid) will also, but to me that is like a hand grenade if not done correctly.

Best bet really is to let it reduce naturally.

cprice
12/10/2016, 08:32 PM
I have always been under the impression that with a CaRx, calcium and alkalinity are added in a consistent ratio. I have also understood that the tank will deplete them at corresponding rates. Should I be weary of calcium depletion of the next few days?

bobbravo2
12/10/2016, 08:33 PM
Agreed. Do it naturally - the corals will consume the excess. Don't add anything. I'd just set my CaRx's pH up to 7ish until it gets back to 9

worm5406
12/10/2016, 08:37 PM
I have always been under the impression that with a CaRx, calcium and alkalinity are added in a consistent ratio. I have also understood that the tank will deplete them at corresponding rates. Should I be weary of calcium depletion of the next few days?

As we always say, measure measure measure. Check the Calcium and keep it in check. Don't let things get out of wack and you are chasing everything. Always measure before dosing, or in your case stopping.

Keep a log so you can see the trend/slope/angle and you will know when things are back to better, or at least should be.

Did the pH swing too much too in the tank after the clog?

bobbravo2
12/10/2016, 08:39 PM

They do add it in a balanced fashion. They should also be consumed in the same ratio. I'd also recommend taking a log-wait-and-see approach. dKh changes are one of the biggest to avoid. More than 1 dKh swing/day is my limit.

cprice
12/10/2016, 08:41 PM
Well my sump (skimmer) and frag tank are located in my garage which gets a little too much air circulation (Im sorry I still haven't redone the seals, Honey).

So my pH stays between 8.35 and 8.6, which I have a feeling could be causing issues in my tank as well.

I've gotten great growth and colors in he past, but everything has started to seem just a little slower and less colorful recently. And then the alk spike happened too

cprice
12/10/2016, 08:43 PM
Also, I was surprised my calcium had not spiked along with the alk

bobbravo2
12/10/2016, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't worry - just test more often and keep things steady. I'd test Alk daily until you stabilize things

bobbravo2
12/10/2016, 08:44 PM
Also, I was surprised my calcium had not spiked along with the alk

Might have precipitated?

cprice
12/10/2016, 08:44 PM
Might have precipitated?

Possibly inside of the CaRx when it was clogged.

worm5406
12/10/2016, 08:50 PM
1 mL distilled white vinegar / gallon will reduce pH by about 0.3. Per some people.

I just re-calibrated my pH and noticed mine was off by .2 in my reading. I was running 8.1-7.8 daily. After recalibrate it is now 8.35-8.2. I adjusted my alk dosing too, to keep it more in line and stable.

So you might want to check your pH calibration and see about that pH level. IMO I would lower it in the long run.

For this incident I would let it go and check daily your numbers.

bobbravo2
12/10/2016, 08:53 PM
For this incident I would let it go and check daily your numbers.

Agreed. Personally I'd love my pH to be that high! My house is so tight that my tank is 7.8-8.1 on most days. That's with an air pump driving air through a CO2 scrubber into my skimmer.

ADVRESOURCE
12/14/2016, 07:33 AM
Make sure mg is adequate. Check ca. If ca ok. Let the coral take care of the leveling. May have to small dose ca to rebalance. Mg is really important for you now!

Recal ph probe and meter. That's high ph for a person using a ca reactor.

ADVRESOURCE
12/14/2016, 07:35 AM
Dosing ca will lower alk if mag is kept at least 1300

McPuff
12/14/2016, 08:17 AM
I would just turn off the CO2 (let the carx circulate) and dose Ca as/if needed.