PDA

View Full Version : Photon 32 to V2-Acclimate?

fraggin corals
12/12/2016, 09:03 AM
I am switching my Photon 32 for the new Photon V2 and was wondering if I need to acclimate my sps to lower levels with new light. The tank is a 65 sps reef and the older model has been running at 65 blues and 50 whites for almost a little over a year now. If I need to acclimate, then what would be a good starting point?

Reef_Breeders
12/12/2016, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I would take it slow and take your current values, then multiply them by .65, then program that into the new light. Group the blue channels and white channels together since there are 6 channels.

fraggin corals
12/22/2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks Logan. When you say group whites and blues, you mean to use the same value for all blue channels? For white do you mean the whites/green/red? Have ordered a light meter, so will measure PAR on existing fixture before change over so I have idea what I am using presently. Thanks again for help and a great product!

Ron Reefman
12/23/2016, 07:28 AM
Thanks Logan. When you say group whites and blues, you mean to use the same value for all blue channels? For white do you mean the whites/green/red? Have ordered a light meter, so will measure PAR on existing fixture before change over so I have idea what I am using presently. Thanks again for help and a great product!

I don't think grouping them 'together' means use the 'exact' same setting, just in the same ballpark. If the best solution was to keep them all exactly the same, then there would be no need for more than 2 channels to start with. The whole point to having 6 channels is so you can vary it to what you think the corals need and to a look you like.

Having the PAR meter will be useful for the change over. I found my 4 year old EverGrow version of the Photon had less PAR than the V2 version. It wasn't a lot, but I was close to an upper limit already so adding more PAR would have put me over the top and probably would have damaged a coral or two.

Also try getting PAR readings with everything set at some fixed power level (I did it at 100% just for comparison purposes). Then do the white, red and green only; followed by doing the blues and violet only. Then see if the 2 separate readings come close to adding up to the combined reading. My PAR meter is old and I know the sensor on my unit is less sensitive to the blue spectrum as it gets closer to violet or UV. That difference shows up as the white, red and green channels make up more than half of the total PAR but the blues and violet are less than half of the total PAR. So that's how much my PAR meter is 'off' from being accurate. Knowing how far off the blue sensitivity is, is important since our corals use more blue than any other spectrum. It's not a perfect test, but it gives you a ballpark idea of how well the meter reads the blue spectrum.

Just my 2 cents worth.