PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly tank?

kangadrew
12/12/2016, 11:53 AM
Would these butterflies all work out in an 8x2x2 240 gallon? Planning on keeping with a few dwarf angels, possibly a tang or two (around the 8" size), and some kind of schooling fish - would anthias work well with butterflies?

The list is this:

Chaetodon semilarvatus - 2x
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon ulietensis
Chaetodon pelewensis
Chaetodon punctatofasciatus
Chaetodon fasciatus - 2x
Coradion altivelis
Chelmon muelleri

Would those butterflies be able to peacefully coexist in an 8 foot 240 gallon? If not, what size would I need to pull it off? The only other fish of any size (other than maybe the tangs) is going to be a blue line angel, that's set in stone. Other angels will be 8" or less.

scooter31707
12/13/2016, 09:25 AM
I would not recommend doing pairs. I would do single species. Just my opinion.

pfan151
12/13/2016, 10:53 AM
Seems like a lot of fish in a 240. With the fish you listed you're up to around 20 fish.

moe103
12/13/2016, 03:03 PM
read sdguy's thread on his butterfly tank build

kangadrew
12/13/2016, 08:24 PM
Here's the system I have planned:

Display is an 8x2x2 glass aquarium with dual corner overflows, leading into the sump. That's a standard 65 gallon glass aquarium, which may be de-rimmed and then be eurobraced so that I don't have the annoying plastic brace across the center of it. The sump will have an entry chamber with two 100-micron filter socks, then a chamber with two 300 watt heaters, then a chamber for my skimmer, and then a return pump chamber. The skimmer will be a Reef Octopus Regal 250 internal skimmer, which is rated for 300 gallons at a heavy bioload - should be enough for my tank. I also plan on running a BRS dual reactor, with carbon and GFO.

For flow in the tank, I plan to use a Reeflo Dart pump (as the main return). I'll have a Vortech MP60 in there, or something similar, for supplemental flow. I am going to have two wave makers hooked up to the Reeflo pump, which should vary flow nicely through the tank.

Other equipment will probably include a chiller of around 1/3 HP, since I'm in a warm climate. Just to err on the safe side of things. I will find something cheap like a 40 gallon and use it for an ATO reservoir.

I plan to have a display refugium on this tank, consisting of a 33 long tank, sand bed, some nice looking macros, a bit of live rock, and a mandarin pair. Hopefully I can get my hands on an ORA pair, so that they are eating prepared foods. I plan on keeping a pair of red firefish with these guys.

As for sand and rock, I plan on an artificial sand bed for ease of maintenance, and I'll probably start with around 120 pounds of base rock and see where we go from there.

I am getting further with the stock list, and I am still looking into lighting. I will update when those are finished.

jda
12/13/2016, 08:25 PM
You can keep most of those in pairs. I had a trio of Semis that nearly became very close after a while.

Start to figure out your alternative food sources... cracked clam, etc. The b'fies in my FO really loved to eat the zoas that nobody else wanted - professional rock cleaners.

kangadrew
12/14/2016, 10:52 AM
I might be able to bump it up to a 375 - 8x30x30. Shouldn't be too hard, it might look a bit weird in the space it's given but I can work with it. If I do this, a few things will change. Equipment will now be:
-100 gallon (48x20x24) sump
-40 gallon long standard sump
-Three 300 watt heaters
-Reef Octopus Regal 300 Internal skimmer
-BRS dual reactor, carbon and GFO
-Dual 100-micron filter socks
-1/3HP chiller
-75 gallon ATO reservoir (or something similar to this volume)
-Dual MP40's
-Somewhere around 150 pounds of base rock
-Artificial sand bed
-Some lighting (not sure yet)

Fish List
2 Mandarin Dragonets (refugium)
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (refugium)
4 McCosker's Flasher Wrasses
2 Labout's Fairy Wrasses
Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
Blonde Naso Tang
Midas Blenny
2 Snowflake Clownfish
2 Coral Beauty Angelfish
Red Sea Regal Angelfish
False Personifer Angelfish
Blueline Angelfish
3 Chaetodon semilarvatus
2 Chaetodon paucifasciatus
Chelmon muelleri
Chaetodon mesoleucos
Chaetodon rafflesi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon pelewensis
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon fasciatus
Chaetodon quadrimaculatus
Chaetodon mitratus

SDguy
12/14/2016, 02:00 PM
Based on my experience so far with my tank (similar) I'd recommend a few things....

-100 gallon (48x20x24) sump
-40 gallon long standard sump
-Three 300 watt heaters
-Reef Octopus Regal 300 Internal skimmer
-BRS dual reactor, carbon and GFO
-Dual 100-micron filter socks These will clog FAST... consider a larger micron
-1/3HP chiller
-75 gallon ATO reservoir (or something similar to this volume)
-Dual MP40's You will need more flow... look at larger vortechs or Tunzes
-Somewhere around 150 pounds of base rock
-Artificial sand bed
-Some lighting (not sure yet)

Fish List
2 Mandarin Dragonets (refugium)
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse (refugium)
4 McCosker's Flasher Wrasses
2 Labout's Fairy Wrasses
Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse I'm not sure how these small, "spookable" wrasses will do with all these large fish... obviously TIGHT lid needed.
Blonde Naso Tang
Midas Blenny
2 Snowflake Clownfish
2 Coral Beauty Angelfish
Red Sea Regal Angelfish Won't compete well long term, IME
False Personifer Angelfish
Blueline Angelfish
3 Chaetodon semilarvatus
2 Chaetodon paucifasciatus
Chelmon muelleri
Chaetodon mesoleucos
Chaetodon rafflesi
Chaetodon ephippium
Chaetodon falcula
Chaetodon pelewensis
Chaetodon collare
Chaetodon fasciatus
Chaetodon quadrimaculatus
Chaetodon mitratus

Regarding the butterflies, I have had no success LONG TERM with multiples of the same species. I would also avoid similar looking species... butterflies can be REALLY mean to each other as they mature.