PDA

View Full Version : Which sump for 210 gallon?

ZenAqua
12/12/2016, 12:57 PM
Setting up a 210, and normally I would DIY this, but I'm feeling...lazy this time around haha.

I'm looking at either the Eshopps ADV-300 or the Skimz UP36. Price seems good, and I like having the refugium, too.

Anybody have good/bad experiences with either of these? Any sumps out there that are better?

GimpyFin
12/12/2016, 03:56 PM
I have the newer Eshopps R-300 and really like it (Very similar to the ADV-300.) It's also very quiet. Unless you really want that extra media compartment, the R-300 is a better sump, IMO. Same size overall, but a little cheaper and you get a little bit bigger refugium and return section (Though the return is in the back on the R-300, whereas the filter sock is in the back on the ADV.) The R-300 also uses a 7" round sock as opposed to a rectangular ones on the ADV (Not a big deal, but the round ones you don't have to buy from Eshopps if you don't want.) Both sumps have a huge skimmer section, so you can fit extra stuff in besides your skimmer if needed. Both also come with a built-in float if you want to use a gravity-fed ATO. I also like the fact that they use solid white acrylic for the inner walls to help block out refugium light a little better than the ones that use translucent colored acrylic. Anyway, just my $.02. Hope that helps.

moondoggy4
12/12/2016, 08:41 PM
Look into the Geo sumps I bought one at Macna.

ZenAqua
12/13/2016, 08:33 AM
Those Geos look NICE! But a little more than I want to spend..

Thanks Gimpy - think you sold me on the R-300. I've read about the return pump being in the back. Hoping this won't be too bothersome.

GimpyFin
12/13/2016, 11:21 AM
Those Geos look NICE! But a little more than I want to spend..

Thanks Gimpy - think you sold me on the R-300. I've read about the return pump being in the back. Hoping this won't be too bothersome.

Yeah, some people dislike the return being in the back, but I haven't had any issues with it. (I've been using the sump for close to a year now.)