PDA

View Full Version : Cycling: Levels/Algae/D. Blooms

RedSTdvr
12/12/2016, 02:59 PM
Quick question. Day 10 of cycling using the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit on my 65 gallon, right around 75 with all rock and simp.
Ammonia: .2ppm
Nitrite: .1ppm
Nitrate: 10-15ppm
Calcium: 440ppm
dKH: 10.2
Alk: 3.65
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78.1-78.5*F

Is it normal to not have a diatom bloom or any alge at this point with these levels? According to this kit, today I am supposed to add the cleanup crew and as long as perimeters hold, two fish by Friday to stick with the program.

Dry rock was cured for two months in 1.026 salinity RO/di water at 78*F.
Lights on 9 hours a day according to the mature pro kit.
Skimmer running full force and had one major collection of skimmate on day 5 and another after water change a few days later.

I am completely aware that your supposed to just let the tank cycle and do its thing but I am following the Red Sea kit to the best of my ability and I had the same problem with my first nano tank. No diatoms or alge at all until about a month after the cycle was complete and livestock in the tank. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

mcgyvr
12/12/2016, 04:41 PM
Day 10 of the instructions assumes your readings are 0 for both nitrite and ammonia.. Yours simply are not..
Continue monitoring and when they go to zero and then proceed to the next step.

And there are too many variables IMO to put a daily program together like that..
Your light levels could be lower than they expect/use hence your algae hasn't started yet and SOOO many other variables..

But don't worry.. Algae will come and you will be kicking yourself in the teeth wondering why you had to get all smart and actually ask for diatoms/algae.. :p

RedSTdvr
12/12/2016, 06:20 PM
I am expecting algae and d blooms. My nano didn't have any algae until after a month of livestock in the system, so we will say three months in. Never had a diatom bloom though and my levels were slightly higher without curing the rock. I'm fully expecting it just more less wondering if anyone has ever cycled without the bloom.

mcgyvr
12/12/2016, 06:27 PM
I've had it be barely noticeable before..
I've also had it be like the possessed son of Satan reaching out to grab me covering anything in its path..

Enjoy it for what it is :)

StatelineReefer
12/13/2016, 04:03 AM
Diatoms also require silicates, and there's a chance that there's just not enough in your water or tank environment to support their growth. Don't worry, the algae is coming soon.