PDA

View Full Version : Hair algae

Alvaro_avalos
12/13/2016, 02:57 AM
I keep having to restart my nano 10 gallon because of it I don't know what's causing it and I don't have test kits but anyone know any reef safe critters that can eat it or something or a remedy

Kolkri
12/13/2016, 10:36 AM
I have learned to live with it. I keep the front glass clean. Pull off the worst of it on the rocks, try to keep it off the corals and let the rest grow. I even have a couple snails with a nice forest on their backs. lol I have three red legged hermit crabs, an emerald crab and a lawnmower blenny but they don't seem to do much to help. And after a year the lawnmower is looking a tad thin but can't get him to eat anything else.

AlSimmons
12/13/2016, 11:23 AM
Turbo snails have been known to eat GHA sometimes.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Alvaro_avalos
12/13/2016, 04:34 PM
Im more a freshwater person too I hate that people think it's just for beginners because it's not about it being easy with freshwater there's just so many options but I will try a turbo snail

jmcdaniel0
12/13/2016, 11:59 PM
What equipment are you using?

A master test kit will be your best friend. High nitrate levels encourage algae growth. You will need to get a test kit my friend. There are few required things you have to have, but a test kit is one of them.

Water changes will help. Take the rocks out, take a tooth brush and give them a good scrub, rinse them with tank water. Manually remove as much as you can. Do it daily. Other than that, not much you can do without knowing what your parameters are.

syrinx
12/17/2016, 02:00 PM
water changes only help if the water used for the changes is perfect. When battling problems- start with the source and work from there.