PDA

View Full Version : Methylated spirits as carbon source?

KoNP
12/13/2016, 06:23 PM
So I live in Australia, where the taxes on booze make even the "cheap" vodkas pretty damn expensive (nearly 30 bucks for 700ml).

However, methylated spirits is significantly cheaper. Now I know that classicly, metho has been unsuitable for carbon dosing due to the presence of horribly toxic denaturants, dyes, what-have-you.

Take a look at this though: https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-methylated-spirits_p1560782

The MSDS lists no harmful compounds other than ethanol and water. Additionally, this metho is suitable for (and even RECOMMENDED for) using as a fuel source in alcohol stoves - meaning that there's no toxic denaturants used (as their combustion would be a massive health risk).

A spokesperson for the company has confirmed the lack of toxic denaturants. Apparently it's only got a bittering agent in it - Denatonium, which is the same bittering agent used in the stuff you put on kids fingernails to stop them compulsively biting them. Meaning it's safe to ingest, it just tastes like crap.

So... can someone who is a little more schooled in advanced chemistry perhaps weigh in on whether this particular ethanol source would be suitable? AFAIK coral doesn't have a sense of taste, and the dilution ratio once added to the water shouldn't bother the fish.

mcgyvr
12/14/2016, 05:20 AM
Just use vinegar...

KoNP
12/14/2016, 06:34 AM
Just use vinegar...

Vinegar has PH related considerations.

Also, I'm already using it in a DIY nopox recipe. The point of this thread was to explore the possibility of another cheap source of carbon. If you've got nothing useful to add then go elsewhere and annoy someone else.

billdogg
12/14/2016, 07:45 AM
Just use vinegar...

What he said.

Vinegar has PH related considerations.

If you are using so much that it affects the pH then you are using to much and should probably find another way to fix the problem that does not involve dosing

Also, I'm already using it in a DIY nopox recipe. The point of this thread was to explore the possibility of another cheap source of carbon. If you've got nothing useful to add then go elsewhere and annoy someone else.

Lighten up Francis

jayball
12/14/2016, 08:15 AM
a bittering agent in it - Denatonium

"Denatonium benzoate is one of the most bitter substances known. Just a few parts per million will make a product so bitter that children and pets will not be able to swallow it. Denatonium benzoate makes sweet but highly toxic products such as antifreeze and detergents taste foul. Research shows that people can detect denatonium benzoate in water at 50 parts per billion. Denatonium benzoate is bitter at 1 to 10 ppm and most products will become undrinkable at 30 to 100 ppm. Denatonium benzoate is also stable and inert. In addition, so little is needed that the properties of the product remain unchanged. "

source:http://www.denatonium-benzoate.com/

Not sure what the end result concentration will be but I would worry about killing the appetite of my fish, they rely on taste and smell to determine what is palatable.

I would pony up for the drinkable ethanol or just use vinegar, as helpfully stated earlier.

mcgyvr
12/14/2016, 05:16 PM
or just use vinegar, as helpfully stated earlier.

Go annoy someone else you big rhinoceros monkey face silly head :lol: :clown: