PDA

View Full Version : Beginner fish to breed

buraccha
12/13/2016, 10:35 PM
hi,

I want to breed some fish in my new system that i built for breeding, but i dont know which specie i should begin since im new in breeding.

I would like to know what fish is the easiest to breed between ocellaris clown or banggai cardinal fish.(Ease of having a mature broodstock)

thank you

ClownFishGuy6
12/28/2016, 09:07 PM
Probably clownfish. Its pretty easy although I've never done it. Just look up some videos on it. It might take a while to grow the clowns though. Try putting 2 Spotsinctus Clowns together in the breeder and feed 2-3 times a day. Make sure you have a foam filter so when they breed it doesnt suck up the eggs.

NewOne81
12/31/2016, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=ClownFishGuy6;24882915]Probably clownfish. Its pretty easy although I've never done it. Just look up some videos on it. It might take a while to grow the clowns though. Try putting 2 Spotsinctus Clowns together in the breeder and feed 2-3 times a day. Make sure you have a foam filter so when they breed it doesnt suck up the eggs.[/QUOTE

Not sure I would call it easy, maybe once you get all the problems worked out. Then it's just a matter of the constant daily maintenance involved...

Nandez13
12/31/2016, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=ClownFishGuy6;24882915]Probably clownfish. Its pretty easy although I've never done it. Just look up some videos on it. It might take a while to grow the clowns though. Try putting 2 Spotsinctus Clowns together in the breeder and feed 2-3 times a day. Make sure you have a foam filter so when they breed it doesnt suck up the eggs.[/QUOTE

Not sure I would call it easy, maybe once you get all the problems worked out. Then it's just a matter of the constant daily maintenance involved...

+1

I don't think much in this hobby is simple if you're doing it for the first time. Very tempted on starting a clownfish breeding tank just to do something different. The thought of daily maintenance scares the crap out of me though

CoralsAddiction
12/31/2016, 09:16 PM
If you're looking for easy consider some freshwater species. You'll probably be able to move them quicker too.
Otherwise, clownfish are really good if you can find a spawning pair to get started right away.

Denbf58
01/01/2017, 09:20 AM
when you have a bonded pair the ocellaris fairly easy to breed given the right diet. for me most of the work is keeping up with the rotifer cultures.

Denbf58
01/01/2017, 09:26 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135137 good info here

Rilelen
01/28/2017, 07:33 PM
I firmly believe I own the easiest-to-breed saltwater fish of all time: saltwater-adapted mollies.

To be honest, I think stopping them from breeding requires more skill than actually breeding them....but they are a nice superduper easy fish to learn on, AND don't require you to set up a whole new freshwater system. You can do your usual saltwater routine, and watch as your tank multiplies....and multiplies.....exponentially.....