PDA

View Full Version : Siderastreans / Starlet Corals?

KingOfAll_Tyrants
12/14/2016, 12:26 AM
Are siderastreans (also known as starlet corals) commonly available from any online vendors?

I did a search and I've found that sometimes they appear as hitchhikers on Gulf of Mexico live rock (TBS, etc.)

Is there any further information about how to care for them? Apparently they're fairly easy to care for.

KingOfAll_Tyrants
12/18/2016, 09:45 AM
No dice. :) But, to be honest, these corals aren't that pretty, so I can't imagine they're too popular. I have a reason to maybe want one eventually, which I'll post when I get my tank thread up.

But, what I found: this is a family of hard corals, most of which aren't commercially available. As mentioned, sometimes they are hitchhiker on aquacultured Florida live rock, and the vendors (TBS and ARC reef) mention that the corals found at many depths, to include even tidepools (where they can grow but are stunted compared to deeper water). Thus, they are hardy and resilient among variable conditions (salinity, temperature, etc.).

Another vendor (unforunately I forgot how) sells one genus in the family, and likewise that they are resilient. It also recommended supplements of Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements, like for all SPS corals.