PDA

View Full Version : Blank canvas

newlights
12/14/2016, 09:29 AM
I purchased a 32 gal led bio cube recently and plan to eventually have as a reef with only a few fish. I will list my equipment below.<br />
32 gal bio cube led<br />
15 lbs Carib sea argonitesand<br />
20ish lbs of dead live rock [will be adding some live to seed]<br />
I added water and instant ocean reef salt on Sunday evening and tonight will be adding <br />
75 watt ebo jager heater<br />
100 ml purigen<br />
Filter floss<br />
Chemi pure elite<br />
Prime<br />
I am hoping to be all setup with salinity fully correct and temp right to add a couple inverts and some live rock to begin seeding and maybe one fish by this weekend. Is there anything you feel i am missing or anything you would do different. Again my eventual goal is a small nano reef with soft corals. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2016, 10:07 AM
what about a powerhead?

have you cycled? and do you understand that process?

how are you measuring salinity?

What is your source water for mixing? (RODI hopefully)

fish by the weekend sounds fast if you don't have any liverock and not cycled. (might need to slow down)

newlights
12/14/2016, 10:12 AM
what about a powerhead?

have you cycled? and do you understand that process?

how are you measuring salinity?

What is your source water for mixing? (RODI hopefully)

fish by the weekend sounds fast if you don't have any liverock and not cycled. (might need to slow down)
I do understand cycling, but with absolutely nothing in it i don't see it (cycling) thats why i am adding one fish some type of damsel to start With a start of biospur as well. I did forget to mention that. And some live rock for the seeding. Salinity was correct the other monday but i realize with the addition of the heater etc this evening the gravity should change a bit. Also yes i am ordering a small circulation pump to go in addition to the filtration pump but will be first of next week before it comes.

newlights
12/14/2016, 10:13 AM
I do understand cycling, but with absolutely nothing in it i don't see it (cycling) thats why i am adding one fish some type of damsel to start With a start of biospur as well. I did forget to mention that. And some live rock for the seeding. Salinity was correct the other monday but i realize with the addition of the heater etc this evening the gravity should change a bit. Also yes i am ordering a small circulation pump to go in addition to the filtration pump but will be first of next week before it comes.

Forgot to mention i am currently using a hydrometer but will have a reefractometer in the next few weeks as another addition.

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2016, 10:16 AM
You don't have to have a fish to cycle- Check out the sticky's on the "New to Hobby" thread. You really kind of put that damsel through hell if you use it to cycle. Also heard they are beastly to get out. I don't think it will get along well with a clown if that is your ultimate goal.

You up to speed on evaporation and topping off with RODI? In regards to maintaining a steady salinity.

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2016, 10:17 AM
Forgot to mention i am currently using a hydrometer but will have a reefractometer in the next few weeks as another addition.

Good- I am miserable with my red sea because I always need to calibrate it. I think it is a good instrument. Just fair warning if you are deciding on that one. lol

Search the nano board they have alot of people with Cubes that have done some cool things.

newlights
12/14/2016, 10:21 AM
Yes i had a reef before a 75 gal i ran it for 2 years. But i have never done a nano. I eventually plan on adding some type of auto top off system but for now. I do plan on doing this manually with daily i realize additional livestock is at least 30 days or so out. I havent ever had a problem with the use of biospur to jump start a tanks cycling before if there was not a large amount of livestock. You do make a valid point however about the damsel being hard to catch if its not one I intend to keep i may just use a couple crabs.

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2016, 10:27 AM
Yes i had a reef before a 75 gal i ran it for 2 years. But i have never done a nano. I eventually plan on adding some type of auto top off system but for now. I do plan on doing this manually with daily i realize additional livestock is at least 30 days or so out. I havent ever had a problem with the use of biospur to jump start a tanks cycling before if there was not a large amount of livestock. You do make a valid point however about the damsel being hard to catch if its not one I intend to keep i may just use a couple crabs.

lol you got more experience then me

I am a year into my fluval m90 all in one (36 total gallons). I was doing twice daily top offs manually - maybe a stadium cup full at a time. I have the tunze and happy with it- plus it shuts off after a while to minimize flooding if it gets hung up. Just have to check and make sure it didn't flip off.

I love clownfish so was always a little cautious about damsels (right or wrong).

I was thinking about going to a 75 gallon did you like it?

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2016, 10:28 AM
You going to try and retro fit a skimmer or just use water changes to keep water quality?

newlights
12/14/2016, 10:30 AM

I am a year into my fluval m90 all in one (36 total gallons). I was doing twice daily top offs manually - maybe a stadium cup full at a time. I have the tunze and happy with it- plus it shuts off after a while to minimize flooding if it gets hung up. Just have to check and make sure it didn't flip off.

I love clownfish so was always a little cautious about damsels (right or wrong).

I love my tank, but i spent a ton of money and a ton of time on water changes which of course are huge for that size and larger tank. If i had spent a bit more money at setup i think id still have it today. But i sold all of it 2 years ago when i just got tired of it. I now want back in just a much smaller scale. Btw i was mentioning bio spu but its bio spira by instant ocean its basically a straight shot of live nitrifying bacteria.

newlights
12/14/2016, 10:32 AM

I spent copious amounts of money on subpar equipment that failed me to automate the process. Using the toms raid pro filter i insanely tried 2 of those and their autotop off systems before i got so mad spending 300 a pop that i just quit.
I love my tank, but i spent a ton of money and a ton of time on water changes which of course are huge for that size and larger tank. If i had spent a bit more money at setup i think id still have it today. But i sold all of it 2 years ago when i just got tired of it. I now want back in just a much smaller scale. Btw i was mentioning bio spu but its bio spira by instant ocean its basically a straight shot of live nitrifying bacteria.

thelawnwrangler
12/14/2016, 10:39 AM

I am finding out by all the upgrades I am doing. Expensive equipment you buy it now or later (after you buy the thing that doesn't work) lol

newlights
12/14/2016, 10:42 AM
I am finding out by all the upgrades I am doing. Expensive equipment you buy it now or later (after you buy the thing that doesn't work) lol
I will check out the tunez.

newlights
12/14/2016, 06:59 PM
You going to try and retro fit a skimmer or just use water changes to keep water quality?
Right now i am planning on using water change but it shouldn't be to long before I add a skimmer. I am trying to pace this as much as possible. For $ just a week and im already about 450 in lol.