PDA

View Full Version : New to reefing, need suggestions on lighting for kessil A160 Tuna blue

keendy81
12/14/2016, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I'm new to reef aquarium
I have a 60 litre, with 2 clownfish, 2 yellow wrasse, 5 Hermit crabs, I also just stocked my tank with soft and lps corals, tree coral, Xenia, eagle eye polys, waving hand.

I also just got myself a kessil A160 tuna blue and getting a controller for it!

I would like some suggestions on the lighting settings when I get the controller!

I want my corals to grow healthy as I want the best from these corals as I spent a lot of money on the equipment and the live stock over the past month.

Please I need help with the lighting settings, if anyone could suggest a lighting schedule I would be so appreciated

ElementalJ
12/14/2016, 09:44 PM
Wow, thirty people viewed this and didn't say a thing. [emoji53]

I run my 160 on a ten hour schedule with 90 minute ramps. Since the tank I'm keeping is relatively shallow I keep the light at the max distance for decent spread and to negate the hot spot. Be careful with these lights as they tend to burn corals if not adjusted properly. When you purchase the controller, I'd start out with a 30-35% intensity over a span of several weeks to give the corals time to adjust. The color end of control appears to be more for our eyes, than to give any specific benefit.

I'd suggest you pay a visit to YouTube for further instructions if possible and best of luck to you.

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moondoggy4
12/14/2016, 09:53 PM
I have a Kassil 160 over my 7 gallon tank I have lots of softies in it, I started at the lowest and bluest setting I do not have a controller just on/off, I SLOWLY ramped up the percentage and I mean slowly, I am now about 35%. So I would start at the lowest setting and watch your corals if they are reaching turn them up if they are shrieking turn then down quickly.

minus9
12/14/2016, 09:58 PM
Start off with low intensity, as suggested above and increase 5% a month. Be patient and change slowly, nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
I run my kessil's on a 12hr cycle, with a 3hr ramp up and down, holding peak for 6hrs. Color is whatever you like. My color follows the same ramping schedule as the intensity, starting at 0% and maxing at 25% (I run T5's as well).

keendy81
12/15/2016, 06:38 AM
I have a Kassil 160 over my 7 gallon tank I have lots of softies in it, I started at the lowest and bluest setting I do not have a controller just on/off, I SLOWLY ramped up the percentage and I mean slowly, I am now about 35%. So I would start at the lowest setting and watch your corals if they are reaching turn them up if they are shrieking turn then down quickly.

I put the intensity to 20% this morning at 8am, then turned it up to 30% before leaving for work at 10am and my corals seems to react brilliantly to this setting. I've been told by the aquarium store where I got it from to keep it at this setting for a week, and slowly increase it every week. Is this the best way to get my corals used to the new led lighting?

keendy81
12/15/2016, 06:41 AM
Wow, thirty people viewed this and didn't say a thing. [emoji53]

I run my 160 on a ten hour schedule with 90 minute ramps. Since the tank I'm keeping is relatively shallow I keep the light at the max distance for decent spread and to negate the hot spot. Be careful with these lights as they tend to burn corals if not adjusted properly. When you purchase the controller, I'd start out with a 30-35% intensity over a span of several weeks to give the corals time to adjust. The color end of control appears to be more for our eyes, than to give any specific benefit.

I'd suggest you pay a visit to YouTube for further instructions if possible and best of luck to you.

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put the intensity to 20% this morning at 8am, then turned it up to 30% before leaving for work at 10am and my corals seems to react brilliantly to this setting. I've been told by the aquarium store where I got it from to keep it at this setting for a week, and slowly increase it every week. Is this the best way to get my corals used to the new led lighting?

ElementalJ
12/15/2016, 07:54 AM

I'd do it much slower than that. Try 30-35% being the max for a few weeks. Observe them for signs of recession or inflation. Remember when the corals begin to "reach" its time to intensify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minus9
12/15/2016, 08:03 AM
Corals can survive much longer with less light than more. Keep your max at 30% for a couple more weeks, then increase by 1% - 2% and leave it. If you don't have the controller yet, small increases are better. Like I mentioned earlier, no more than 5% a month. These lights are deceptively stronger than you think. You can't go by visual intensity. Go slow and be patient.

keendy81
12/15/2016, 09:04 AM
Corals can survive much longer with less light than more. Keep your max at 30% for a couple more weeks, then increase by 1% - 2% and leave it. If you don't have the controller yet, small increases are better. Like I mentioned earlier, no more than 5% a month. These lights are deceptively stronger than you think. You can't go by visual intensity. Go slow and be patient.

Thank you so much for your advice. I don't have the controller yet I should be getting it on Monday

I know that the intensity turns off before the knob is at 'zero' so do you recommend to leave the intensity at when it comes on when I turn the knob???

I hope you understand what I mean in he last sentence????

ElementalJ
12/15/2016, 09:29 AM
Yes that's the lowest intensity setting. Sorry my advice didn't help you.

keendy81
12/15/2016, 12:17 PM
Yes that's the lowest intensity setting. Sorry my advice didn't help you.

Your advice is a lot of help.
I stopped turning the intensity knob until the light comes on and turned it up very slightly. I will keep this intensity at this level for a week and see how my corals are doing!

What about the colour??
Is the colour just for my taste??
I've ordered the controller and it's coming on Monday, so hopefully when it comes it will be easier for me to set it rather than guessing the intensity!!

Thanks for ur advice

ElementalJ
12/15/2016, 01:01 PM
I would maintain a level just above the turn on threshold. As I said before, the color knob is just for our eyes and provides very little for the coral.

However I must stress that you keep the light between 8-10 inches above the water surface.

keendy81
12/15/2016, 01:44 PM
I would maintain a level just above the turn on threshold. As I said before, the color knob is just for our eyes and provides very little for the coral.

However I must stress that you keep the light between 8-10 inches above the water surface.

I would like to thank you for all your advice!!

Until I get my controller how many hours should I give my corals and also would it be beneficial for to set my lighting with moonlight during the night or off completely?

ElementalJ
12/15/2016, 02:48 PM
I would like to thank you for all your advice!!

Until I get my controller how many hours should I give my corals and also would it be beneficial for to set my lighting with moonlight during the night or off completely?

Depending on species, I usually leave mine dark. Most living things need rest.

ElementalJ
12/15/2016, 02:49 PM
I also would set my photoperiod for no more than 10 hours at first. Remember they like stability so the longer you leave one set of values in place the better.

keendy81
12/16/2016, 05:05 AM
I also would set my photoperiod for no more than 10 hours at first. Remember they like stability so the longer you leave one set of values in place the better.

I just received the controller I'm using the acclimation mode for 14 days, would that help?

I'm not that comfortable to manual set it yet and I dont want my corals to die. Here's what my corals look like now

keendy81
12/16/2016, 05:18 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/0c67ee4504c30b4347137c54174ef707.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/ec113204619d2cf30c8f2562db159c24.jpg

ElementalJ
12/16/2016, 07:58 AM
I would manually set the device. The preset acclimation modes are for new corals imo.

ElementalJ
12/16/2016, 09:01 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/0c67ee4504c30b4347137c54174ef707.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161216/ec113204619d2cf30c8f2562db159c24.jpg

https://youtu.be/hlb6kGiVvPQ

Check this out.